jbl gto804 tapped horn/ folded horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Also note that these curves are in free space i.e. suspended in mid air in the middle of a corn field. If you can tuck the cabinet into a corner, efficiency will go up dramatically.

Not quite.

Your sim shows 2pi radiation, which is half-space. ie, its sat on an infinite car park.

4pi is on the end of a long stick, 1pi is up against a wall, 0.5pi is in a corner.

Smaller angle = louder sound.

Chris

JBL GTO804

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I have a single GTO804 sub that needs an enclosure for car use. I am using a JL Audio Slash 400 amp which would give the sub 140 watts when I bridge two of the channels to one to power the sub. I am putting this in the hatch area of a Toyota 4-Runner so size is not a serious issue. I don't want to take up the whole area and something like 20" X 14" X 9" would be awesome. I am hoping for a simple build and I am not very knowledgeable with Horn Resp. ,but I have played around with WinISD without much luck. I like some of the tapped horn ideas that have been tossed around here so that would be preferred. If anyone has a plan drawn up with measurements that would be great if you could forward it to me. Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

Ryan

No folded up design, just plugged in the specs from post #99 and for a ~24 Hz TH it 'wants to feel' a very high driver/throat [Sd/St] compression ratio [CR] of ~6:2 and higher as tuning increases to Fs, which combined with its stiff suspension [tiny Vas] should allow it to fit in your ~1.98 ft^3 overall outside volume [Vb] cab, but at 140 W, it may not just distort, it may tear itself apart [at least over time], so don't recommend a TH < ~ 2 ft^3 with a < 3:1 max CR + however much space is required for the driver, divider/brace boards, so guessing it will be at least 25% larger [~2.5 ft^3].

Anyway, load this ~ 2 FT^3 net/3:1 CR TH file into HR to view its particulars if interested and of course you can modify it using the Loudspeaker Wizard, then use Brian Steele's new folding designer worksheet to find out what dimensions it can be 'compressed' to.

GM

Attachments

• ~24hzGTO804dTH.txt
    940 bytes · Views: 44
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.