JBL active speakers using LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love Genelecs

Hi Moamps,

I have a pair of G 1030 and a pair of 1031's in continue use in my postproduction facility and I really like them.
Unfortunelly down here in Argentina there's no Genelec representative, so if they breake, I'll have a problem.
Can I ask you for the schematic of these little wonders? If there is a fee for the scan or something, let me know
Thanks in advance.

Ric

Re: I love Genelecs

Ricren said:
Hi Moamps,
I have a pair of G 1030 and a pair of 1031's in continue use in my postproduction facility and I really like them.
Unfortunelly down here in Argentina there's no Genelec representative, so if they breake, I'll have a problem.
Can I ask you for the schematic of these little wonders? If there is a fee for the scan or something, let me know
Thanks in advance.
Ric

Done ........ ;) :mail:

Hello Moamps,

I have bought a pair of Genelecs 1031A 5 years ago @ a public auction for 1/4 of the new price. I just love their sound. Mine are fairly old: S/R number 083 for one, one has an R core transfo, the other torodial. May I kindly ask you to send me the circuit diagram, please? It would be a very useful... Thanks in advance. just updated my profile since it seems it was'nt possible to send me emails anymore. Please let me know.

Thank you

PS : Ricren

speakers units in my ( fairly old) 1031A are both SEAS units, the tweeter is a 25 TAF/G ( H 398) - replaced both Tweeters recently, the bass is a ... 21??? ( OH no, shoot, i forgot to write it down last time i openend them up)
let me know what generation yours are. The newest 1031A have a different bass/mid driver i suspect.

Kind regards

Tom

Re: Re: Re: But then again...

paulb said:

Like Alesis. I have some amps from ApexJr that were used in an earlier version (I think) of their studio monitors.
http://www.alesis.com/products/m1active/index.html

I have several of those also. I used 2 with a generic MCM woven carbon fiber woofer and Tang Band soft dome. They sound good except the tweeters are not the same sensitivity as the original Vifa(I think) design. I use them as the rears on the HT system.

I will be making another pair with a 4" MTM shortly to give to a friend.

What have you done with yours?

Al- Sorry to jump in on your thread... But I DO like the LOOK of those spkrs. Especially the Alum. enclosures..

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
No probs Troy, This is a pretty old thread that I linked to from the studio monitors thread. I wasn't expecting anyone to start posting on it.

As for the speakers, although I own them, I haven't seen them for about 6 months - A friend borrowed them to do some accoustic recording gigs, and I haven't got them back yet. Everytime I ask for them back it's " Oh, I've just got one more gig to do...".

I still rate them as the best small recording monitor I've heard, even though, if pushed, I'm sure I could build better. And I'm sure I could improve them with tweaks. But it's just not worth the time, effort or money. They work well, and as far as I'm concerned, for kit that has to earn a living, that's what counts. Anyway, it leaves me with more time to play with other things! ;)

So I was curious so I took apart my Genelec 1031's christmas day...
Tweeter - Seas 25TAF/G as previously noted
Woofer - Vifa P22WO
Amp - STK4241V on surfacemount board
Surfacemount input/crossover board

Moamps - Is this different to your service manual? When you get it scanned again I would really apreciate a copy of the circuit diagram. Thanks.

thejohn said:
...So I was curious so I took apart my Genelec 1031's christmas day... Moamps - Is this different to your service manual? When you get it scanned again I would really apreciate a copy of the circuit diagram.

Hi,

It is different: the output amplifier is based on the SMD driver board and discrete output transistors (Toshiba standard 2SA , 2SC).
Please, send me your e-mail thru PM.

Regards,
Milan

Hey pinkmouse I currenly have a JBL LSR25P looking like your pics but that is as far as I've got, the amps seem to be stuck onto the cabinets.
I need to replace/repare the RCA socket but cannot get to it because the amp board is stuck firm arrgghh:smash:
This is frustating because it would cost £100's to send them for repair and I'm quite cabable of using a soldering iron to dab a joint or fix a new RCA.
Did you ever get the amp board out?

An old thread I know but I'm desperate will try anything to keep these little beauties kicking as they were a bargain for me to (£300 new)

Thanks

Theo

Thanks for the reply, yes the exploded diagram indicates only 4 screws need removing I took all 8 out just to be sure also the transformer seems stuck too

Was there any damping/thermal pad under the board maybe this has becom sticky.

Ive just ordered a unbalanced to balanced converter so that I can try the XLR socket.

The full problem I'm getting is that the treble will occassionly flick off/on,on close listening the offending speaker has a slight hum,pushing the rca socket stops the hum but cannot get it to stay.

I'm hoping the intermittent treble is just the bad connection and nothing worst.

Fingers crossed.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well, you should be able to pop the traffo assembly out by gently prying with a screwdriver in the slot between it's mounting plate and the case. That'll give you a bit more room to get to the PCB. There may be a little dried heatsink paste holding down the board, but gentle persuasion should get it moving. As for the connector, it may well just be a dry joint , so resoldering should do the job.

I found it quite easy tracing the circuit from the schematic on the PCB, so if the problem with the treble isn't the fault of the connector it should still be pretty easy to fix.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.