Jada: Just another discrete amp:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
So what's the switching frequency and output filter?
Is that a clocked design with multiple LC resonant traps?

It’s a self oscillating design, so as you know the switching frequency is not fixed, but it never drops down to a scary frequency.

It’s not a UCD, but more like an analogue frontend with a Class D buffer.

Yes the output filter is more than just an L and C.

Cheers

You've still provided very little information.
I can only suspect you've chosen a very high carrier frequency that allows a lot of feedback. Harmonics reveil that.
Simulate 3+7kHz IMD and check the distortion products in the range of 10-21kHz, is the number still looking so nice as 5E-3% ? I bet it doesn't.
Also if your switching frequency gets higher than some 200-300 kHz, then use simulation only for proof of concept, not for THD estimation (useless).

Mvh

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hi

JRF
Thank you.

df
I know there are some limitations in simulation compared to real circuits; this is a new concept so I’m using the simulator to check if the concept looks interesting, and I think it does. I’m not that concerned about the THD right now, but in the simulation I’m now down in the E-4 range.

I didn’t know about the frequency limitation in Orcad Pspice, I will have to ask syn08 about that.

The frontend I’m using is this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145190

I’m not using any global feedback, but of course some feedback in the frontend and also in the Class D buffer.
I’m still working on the circuit so I don’t want to reveal too much before I’m sure that it’s a working concept.

Cheers (Mvh)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.