• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I've put loadlines aside for a while...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your English reads fine, certainly at least as good as mine on a bad day :)

Yeah, tubes can do more in PP because they can be used more efficiently. You can't run a SE amp in class AB because that means the tube cuts out, making for some nasty distortion; has to be class A. In PP, there's another tube to take over, so you can get more than twice the power output from the same tube.

You can build a PP amp and run it in class A, and it will put out about the right amount, i.e. twice that of an SE amp.

Tim

To conclude... My amp gives roughly 5W output-power, which is about the maximum power for a SIMPLE SE KT88-amp??? Can I get more power by just redesigning the input-stage? Or do I have to put somekind of offset-voltage to my output-tube?

In my design i have 35V at the cathode. Does that mean that the maximum voltage-swing I can get with a clean signal is somewhere around -30-0-+30 = 60V P-P signal?

Yes, the maximum grid drive is 35V peak, or 70V peak to peak (I find the former more useful).

5W sounds about right. You can get more power by reducing the load resistance (to a point) and increasing current (i.e. reducing the bias resistor) to compensate. Basically, you'll never get more than 30% efficiency; your plate dissipation is what, 25W? 5W is 20% of that - not all that bad.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.