IV-convertor with op amps....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kinda' noob question:
Is it correct to see the DAC output Z (670R) forming a voltage divider with the IV stage input Z?

If true then obviously an IV with a flat input Z from DC up to 10MHz of say 3R (I forgot to check but it is probably close to what Hawksford proposes - have to check...) will display less noise at its output than an IV with 10R of input Z.

May I conclude that when evaluating the two approaches: Jocko (OL) or Hawskford (CL) vs. opamp IV then measuring noise over a wide band should be one of the criteria? :confused: I agree that slew rate limiting is also an issue, especially with poorly chosen OpAmps.

Tks!

I tried this around 1991 or so, the DAC is probably out of date now. The two capacitors and the BW of the op-amp form a critically damped two pole system, I don't know about the Dutch circuit but the principle is similar. The results at the time were remarkably good. The picture is from 797 datasheet:)

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 837
Joseph K said:
Hm, I was asking because in the hawksford model 1nF of Cfeedback is also included, with 1mA Dac output current, and 50V/usec slew rate for the opamp. Which is more than twice the 20V/usec for the OPA134.
And he got well visible spuries at 44.1KHz.. A test would well respond to any doubt here..

Given that Tentlabs offers that NOS filter replacement unit developed by Peter Beyer, so it should be a no pain quick test.. and also interesting for the possible users.

George, you mean 48 kHz in fig.3-8a of Hawksford, but that is mutch worse than 3-10a which corresponds about with 8x oversampling, if I'm right.

Joseph K said:
Again, uhm, let's try to re-calculate the slew rate requisites for the OPA:

The maximum swing Ipp for the PCM63 is 4mA. That is converted by the 2.2Kohm in your converter to 8.8Vpp max. - on the OUTPUT.
That is, this is the step which should be re-created by the opamp on it's output..
Is this true? With the 1800 pF in parallel the gain has been lowered with 40 dB at 3.5 MHz. From 0 - 20 kHz the signal could be 8.8Vpp (with 0 dB on disk) indeed, but not at higher frequencies. Do I make a mistake?

Now this is extreme, but it's how it looks your 20KHz +19KHz test signal without OS!
With OS is mutch better (see above), right? I still have somewere a wrong exchange of ideas. The 4 mA jumps are in both cases 200 ns, so....... what is the difference for the slew rate?................help! :smash:

sidiy said:
Kinda' noob question:
Is it correct to see the DAC output Z (670R) forming a voltage divider with the IV stage input Z?
I think so, yes.
If true then obviously an IV with a flat input Z from DC up to 10MHz of say 3R (I forgot to check but it is probably close to what Hawksford proposes - have to check...) will display less noise at its output than an IV with 10R of input Z.
If you had watched my attachments a little bit more careful, you could have noticed that the input Z is under 20 kHz mutch smaller than your 3 ohm. :bawling:
May I conclude that when evaluating the two approaches: Jocko (OL) or Hawskford (CL) vs. opamp IV then measuring noise over a wide band should be one of the criteria?
No, you may not because in my case the audible noise is more than 30 dB less.:mad:

Measured input impedance.....

With a PM3233 oscilloscope (10 MHz, 35 ns, 2 mV/cm) and a decent probe, I measured the output voltage over the pins 6 and 7 of the PCM63 (which is followed by my op amp IV with OPA314).
I could see LF-signals from a few hundred Hz up to 20 kHz. The higher the frequency the larger the signal,

BUT,

I could not find anything at 8 x fs which is about 3.5 MHz. NOTHING. Even without the 5 nF capacitor!

I think, I cannot trust my simulations. The IV is much better than expected from simulation.
I think I leave out the 5 nF either.

Later I will measure with W&G's PSM5 to see how small the recidues are at 3.5, 7, 10.5.... MHz.

PA0SU said:
With OS is mutch better (see above), right? I still have somewere a wrong exchange of ideas. The 4 mA jumps are in both cases 200 ns, so....... what is the difference for the slew rate?................help! :smash:

I did find the answer myself!
From my radio-experience I know that in a heterodyne receiver a small distance between local oscillator (LO) and the frequencies to be received (RF) gives a lot of spurious. In general: the larger the distance, the less spurious. However there are regions you should better not use (see my web site).
In this case the RF is the audio-band ( 10-20,000 Hz) and the LO is the sampling rate..........
In our case the 'mixer' is the IV-conv. This should be very linear so that the spurious are as small as possible of course, but oversampling is a must from this point of view.

(I never understood the non oversampling lovers.......)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.