It begins... gainclones on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More power to him (or her)...

Beauty is all in the eye of the beholder... Seems to me the X Series of the Musical Fidelity stuff has done very well... If someone can sell a tipped over beer can that plays music, I would think this will sell also... :)

I could see 5 of these being a decent home theater setup using mini monitors that could also be used for music. Or, what about using them to biamp the uppers on speakers? They're small and 5 if them next to each other would be kind of cool...

I zoomed in on the second photo and it appears the second power jack is smaller and different. My guess is that it's either a remote turn-on jack or perhaps the pot that is referred to. I can't see it well enough to guess beyond its smaller size...

As long as the circuit is not patented, what is wrong with him doing this? Has anyone here ever heard of Plain Wrap or Generic brand products? Why is it ok in the supermarket but not ok in the hifi world?

He should have named it the Frog. I keep expecting to see it jump forward!!!! It's kind of cute!

I think he did a nice job on it and I hope he sells a zillion of them... :nod:

And no, it's not me...

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: Only 9 parts ?!

sam9 said:
That's 9 + what's inside the IC. By the logic in the ebay ad (and 47Lab's, too) a Intel Pentium IV is the essence of trancendental simplicity because it only one (1 !) part.

that fallacy has been pointed out many times.

The whole "simplicity" claim is just so lame. All amp manufacturers should claim that theirs are the simplest as it all requires is a powercord, and some wires to play.

Anything inside that little box / IC just doesn't count.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Peter Daniel said:

I would say so. One forum member tried to calculate some parts included in such creation here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9112&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=60 Check post #895

This is of course a rough estimate, that doesn't include any chassis parts and the exact components used, but can give you some idea of what it takes.

I thought it said $330 or CND480 for such a box.

Anyway, $1750 for a $500 box. Pretty good profits.

Peter.

IMO, it's a decent price for a commercial amplifier, considering the price of the original gaincard+PS(although for the price, I would have maybe done it bridged, parallelled or >channels, and a pre section in a case with major heatsinks),

$500, on the other hand, is a very, very nice price for a good DIY amp, assuming it has the same features of the orig. gainclone(I just reread it, and there is a pot rather than steppers. I guess for the price, its necessary). What I object to is the guy copying every feature out of an ad for the gaincard. He should include specs of whats inside the nice custom-machined box(which probably costs quite a bit).

millwood said:

I thought it said $330 or CND480 for such a box.

Anyway, $1750 for a $500 box. Pretty good profits.

If you look closely, the price of the box (or rather 2 boxes) is not listed there, not to mention knobs and some other parts that are required to put the box (or rather 2 boxes) together.

But why should I bother to explain it anyway (to a one track mind)?

Squalish said:
Peter.

IMO, it's a decent price for a commercial amplifier, considering the price of the original gaincard+PS(although for the price, I would have maybe done it bridged, parallelled or >channels, and a pre section in a case with major heatsinks),

It seems like a decent price, and it's not us who dictate those prices, it is the market.

Personally, as someone involved in DIY, I would never spend $1750 on such an amp, but OTOH, if I want to build it myself from scratch, it would take me at least few days to complete, not to mention time spend on chasing the parts and dealing with metal finishers. If you have a regular job and recalculate that time into your average income, I don't know what pays better: build it yourself or just buy a readymade product, although at 'ripoff' price?;)

Peter I appreciate your honesty about the fact that you'd never spend 1750 on a gainclone that you could do yourself.
I have collected thousands of dollars in parts and instruments that a guy not into building could easily keep in his pockets.
I don't know why Millwood has such a problem with accounting. ;)

Peter Daniel said:

It seems like a decent price, and it's not us who dictate those prices, it is the market.

Personally, as someone involved in DIY, I would never spend $1750 on such an amp, but OTOH, if I want to build it myself from scratch, it would take me at least few days to complete, not to mention time spend on chasing the parts and dealing with metal finishers. If you have a regular job and recalculate that time into your average income, I don't know what pays better: build it yourself or just buy a readymade product, although at 'ripoff' price?;)

I understand that it's a market price, and that noone that frequents this board is likely to pay it. I just think that were I building them commercially at $1750/pc, the $50 more(assuming boutique parts, and that there's space) for, say, a bridged version, would be for me a trivial cost compared to my profit, if people liked the sound more. Then again, that's why I'm browsing this board rather than Audio Asylum :)

I base my opinions mostly on what others say rather than personal experience, and I don't believe 100% in the 'better sound through simplicity, short signal path, layout' thing that you have experimented with to a degree beyond anyone else with this circuit.

You make a damn elegent, nice sounding amp, definitely worth it to the audiophile market, I'm not contesting that.

And Mill, could you please confine your flames to sentences that make sense?

I've been pressed many times by my partner to come up with more powerfull version, including a bridged circuit. But somehow I can't force myself to try one. I just can't imagine it will sound as good as one chip version. Maybe it would, but I don't see it worthwile enough to experiment. One thing that would definitely bring the price up is a set of two input transformers.

I just finished recenlty prototypes of monoblocks and they sound better than AMP-1 (but not that much). There is definitely much more depth in the soundstage and I seem to perceive even more purity (coherence) overall. I don't see the future of those amps in more power. If someone needs more power, why not ugrade with more efficient speakers?

I think adding more chips, at $5/chip, is a logical extension of the bigger = better philosophy that we already practice w/ buying oversized toroids and caps when possible. Whether it actually sounds better remains to be seen, but one should at least try it, esp when it's so relatively cheap. You've said that you practice bi-amping, for example. How far away is that from simply parallelling two or more chips?

Millwood, I haven't been following this thread at all. But in the few responses I've read you've been very rude to Peter, and he has always been both respected and polite to others. Personally, I think you should apologize, but failing that at least try to be tactful. You can disagree with someone without being rude...Peter is hardly fleecing DIYers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
tiroth said:
Millwood, I haven't been following this thread at all. But in the few responses I've read you've been very rude to Peter, and he has always been both respected and polite to others. Personally, I think you should apologize, but failing that at least try to be tactful. You can disagree with someone without being rude...Peter is hardly fleecing DIYers.

I am not sure how I was rude to Peter or anybody else for that matter. Did I say that Peter is fleecing DIYers?

And what's wrong with fleecin anyway?

how about calling a fellow DIYer "one track mind"? Is that rude?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.