Issues identifying a germanium transistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, it is a mcp-105 from december 1969.

Oh, I am actually counting on it. My greatest wish is that my children and hrand children can enjoy both craftmanship and quality of sound.

When I connect it, the starting mcp-105 set a lil noise, hearable only with ears on speakers, on the medium horn. The other medium speaker seems not to emit the noise but I should try out. It spitted big parasites one time but after moving all knobs a hundred times each and use deoxit. This never did again. However, if rca from computer is connected to it, noise become hearable, and if gpu is working out. It is hell, so I guess it takes all the bad noise from computer.

Regards and thanks.

preamp that work well
In that case do NOT mess with it.
Besides cleaning pots , switches and connectors that is.

In any case you will NOT find that transistor at all, and those "musical instrument" germanium transistors still available are anything but what that preamp needs.

Plus after years of pruning, all that remains is "bottom of the barrel" stuff.

Okay, I won't then, I just cleaned the pots right now. The noise, however, that it does when I connect the preamp is a bit annoying cause I know it's there. Beside of that, the sound is just great, it's clear and undistorted. It's a very old piece that wasn't cared at all, the steel of the levers are rusted, so are some screws and yet...

I work a lot with vintage bicycles, so dirt is no strange to me, but how did some kind of that dirt that looked like earth, and some others black one and some cotton that wasn't removed from a previous service found itself here, I have no idea.

I can't fix properly the rca connectors at the bottom however, I removed most of the rust and they're shining again, but that's all I could do, there's still some rust.

I see, that's sad then, I'll fix some of the bad solderings then. A recap would it be in order or not?

Regards and thanks.

A recap would it be in order or not?
Only the electrolytics, and only if some are off value for ESR. The Atlas Peak ESR meter has a chart of standard ESR values for different values capacitor & voltage.
Paper caps, depends on the brand. There were high quality paper caps in the 50's 60's that were dipped in wax and stay on value if the wax is not penetrated. Black GI's are famous from dynaco & scott equipment. There were sleazoid paper caps in some cheap brands TV radios that were just foil & paper wrapped up and tied up in celophane. Those went off value a long time ago, maybe just after the warrenty was expired?
A c meter may help you decide. I bought mine for $37 + freight from parts-express.com

it's sad germanium isn't more common, just like fets.

Germanium is not thermally stable, and was used back then for certain uses only because it was marginally faster than silicon. Once the planar epitaxial geometry was perfected and the speed of silicon parts far exceeded germanium alloy transistors, there was absolutely no reason to use germanium - good riddance!

I can assure you that if there were a technical advantage to Ge, it would be used today. It's great fun if you want a low gain device that changes characteristics with signal current constantly, and may catastrophically run away if the load line is wrong, but most people don't enjoy that level of uncertainty or unreliability.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The transistors are not Germanium. That would be odd in 1969 Hi-Fi small transistors. The Service Manual shows neat 0.6V base-emitter drops, which is expected for Silicon but much too high for small Germanium.

This is a 3-stage phono amp. That's plenty of devices, they do not have to be special gain. They do want low-hiss but modern devices are pretty sure to be low-hiss (and are so cheap that if you get a hisser, you try another 13 cent transistor). 2N5087 looks suitable.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> The Service Manual shows .......
> Can you please post it here?

I believe the dots were mostly lost in the scanner. I have red-penciled where I think some dots are missing. This interpretation seems to make sense.

Attachments

• JVC-MCP-105E-phono.gif
    JVC-MCP-105E-phono.gif
    43.3 KB · Views: 59
Ah yes, I see now, thank you so much. I knew there were some germanium in some amps of those series, according to what I readed on the internet. And with the look and name Gp marked over it, I guessed it was that.

Thank you so much! That's a relief for me as we never know what the futur holds and those poor parts are often badly used in the past, taking on their reliability.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.