Isolation Transformers Power Requirements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am curious. Why is it you want to use isolation transformers? To reduce noise generated by one component from another? From external noise coming from the line? Do you have a goal in mind as how much isolation you need? Will isolation transformers actually do the job you want? Are isolation transformers good filters or are they really intended to combat ground loops?

Isolation transformer by itself doesn't provide enough RFI filtering.
RFI filter intended for mains supply by itself, usually doesn't provide enough RFI filtering - partly because RF is transmitted from the filter's input to its' output.
The best solution is a combination of both - isolation transformer with RFI filters before the primary and after the secondary. Those RFI filters should be enclosed in Mu-metal cases.

Just thinking out loud, since out equipment already comes with individual transformers how would sticking another transformer in front of it do any good? If RFI can get through the transformers we have already would they not get through the isolation transformer?

Don't know about you but I can turn my stereo up to the point where I hear hiss rather than EMI. If you want to get rid of EMI use a filter that gets rid of EMI. Did some work on getting rid of EMI among other things on a device years ago. If you want to filter your supply to get clean power use a filter. Transformers are for changing voltage or isolation.

Some of the points you raised I addressed above.

As for RFI, you wouldn't hear RF from your amp and speakers … however, the presence of RF in amps' circuits degrades the sound quality.

Do you design and build isolation transformers for safety, or for reducing RFI?
isolation transformers are not meant for RFI reduction. If such a transformer reduces EMI by its parasitic properties or a dedicated grounded screen winding, this is considered an additional gadget and not its purpose of existence.
What do you want the transformers for?
regards

Please elaborate where you think RFI filters with MU metal cases can be bought.
Then think connections, seals are 75% of the problem (imho).

I don't know of any commercial filter like that, I intend to DIY - to design a filter and a metal case and to order the metal case from a local factory. The filter's metal housing will also cover the input and output mains outlets.

isolation transformers are not meant for RFI reduction. If such a transformer reduces EMI by its parasitic properties or a dedicated grounded screen winding, this is considered an additional gadget and not its purpose of existence.
What do you want the transformers for?
regards

The transformer and filters combination is meant to serve 2 purposes:
1. Ground loops isolation;
2. RFI filtration.
Whatever isolation transformers are meant for initially, I can use it to my intended purpose.

then get some with screen winding. Those transformers show improved filtration. Much more important than core technology, which could be chosen for output impedance.
Yet I don't know what's better, higher or lower output impedance could both have their merits in audio applications.
regards

Please elaborate.
Do you think Mu-metal enclosures for RFI mains filters are over-doing?

Actually I think the whole exercise is overdoing it unless you have found you have a problem.

Have you measured any RF getting into your system? Is it coming from your interconnecting cables or the power main? How do you know you need to take these steps? Have you measured any RF in any of the stages in your audio chain? Measured your power supplies, along the audio path? When you build your transformers and filters how will you know they will be doing their job?

Not that I think any of that maters but you may find these of use.

A quick search gave me these.

http://www.gaia-converter.ca/content/datasheet/FGDS-20A-50V.pdf

http://www.gaia-converter.ca/content/datasheet/EMIfilterMIL461CDEto300W.pdf

These were a couple of my bibles in another life.

http://www.goes-r.gov/procurement/flight_documents/MIL-STD-461E.pdf

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/hdbk419a_vol1.pdf

I use 3 isolation transformer at present and have been using some type of isolation transformer in my audio system for 6 years with great results.
I use a 2.5Kv Elgar isolation transformer for my mono block amps (Acoustat D/D Tube amps). I use another 2.5Kv Elgar switched into Balanced power for my preamps and separate power supplies. Then another smaller one for Digital gear.

Years ago when I tried a isolation transformer (Topaz) for the first time, I used it on just my Digital gear, I was amazed at the improvement, lower noise floor, the clarity was very noticeable. That is what started me on knowing that addressing A/C can bring some real positive gains. Quality of the isolation transformer can make quite a difference, some very good Brands are Topaz, Elgar, Xentek.

I also use on the secondary of each isolation transformer, a DIY power strip, with the box made of 1/8 plate Aluminum, the outlets used have a brass backstrap with nylon and brass fasteners used where needed. In the Aluminum box I also use some passive filters to further clean things up.

Here some info on Elgar isolation transformers: http://www.programmablepower.com/pr.../HIT Series - High Isolation Transformers.pdf

As a General rule, (and I don't know who made up the rule) it is said to have 2-3 times the power rated needed. I have noticed in the past that using a bigger vs smaller transformer with give a more open, effortless, and more dynamic presentation.
This is very important if using one on an amp!!

This ofcourse is with my system and my ears, YMMV!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.