Isobaric, whatcha think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got one

I use to small 6 1/2" woofers in push pull. In my car it takes up hardly any room, which is great for shopping pushchairs and whatever else you care to carry. I have four small egg speakers in each corner run off of the JVC head unit and the line out drives a little Alpine 90 wrms unit. It fills the bottom nicely, giving an extension to the main speakers. Everyone thats heard it are supprised at the amount of bass from such a small box. Hardly going to boom down the road, however drum n bass and dubstep sound AWSOME inside the cabin. At the end of the day, it was worth the effort made a great project and I have no idea if its X db lower or Y hz better, but the sound quality is better than single driver slot boxes or reflexes I've had.

Sounds good to me, whats important here?

:) Fuzzymuff

tresch said:
yeah, seems like iso might be an awesome configuration for car-audio where space is majorly at a premium. I've been thinking about building a center console for the front of my van with some up-front sub action for more balanced front-rear sub bass.

Currently, with the subs in the back, to balance the subs for the driver, you've got to crank them a bit. Anyone sitting in the back seat gets too much.

Seems like an iso setup might be optimal for getting good solid bass from a small enclosure up front. Since the woofers will now be very close to the intended listeners, the drop in efficiency is not really a problem.

Great idea !
Just use a seperate amp with a electronic xover so you can only get the upper bass up front , because any small driver may blow up if low end freq gets to it .
Besides you want the deep lows in the rear only .

Re: I got one

Fuzzymuff said:
I use to small 6 1/2" woofers in push pull. In my car it takes up hardly any room, which is great for shopping pushchairs and whatever else you care to carry. I have four small egg speakers in each corner run off of the JVC head unit and the line out drives a little Alpine 90 wrms unit. It fills the bottom nicely, giving an extension to the main speakers. Everyone thats heard it are supprised at the amount of bass from such a small box. Hardly going to boom down the road, however drum n bass and dubstep sound AWSOME inside the cabin. At the end of the day, it was worth the effort made a great project and I have no idea if its X db lower or Y hz better, but the sound quality is better than single driver slot boxes or reflexes I've had.

Sounds good to me, whats important here?

:) Fuzzymuff

I wanna build one , I got plenty of polk 6.5"s laying around , out of curiosity how big are your 6.5 cabinets ?
Did you seal those ?
(I really need to buy a van, my king cab nissan is just too limiting for audio ) !!!!!

Re: Re: I got one

bottomfeeder said:

I wanna build one , I got plenty of polk 6.5"s laying around , out of curiosity how big are your 6.5 cabinets ?
Did you seal those ?
(I really need to buy a van, my king cab nissan is just too limiting for audio ) !!!!!

1/2 to 1 cubic feet should work well for many older Polk 6.5's. Cut that in half for isobarik pairs. Many are suited for ported enclosures as well, but the small enclosure volume can make ports prohibitively long.

From the distant past...

2-10" Rockford Fosgate:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

4-10" MTX:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

how did it sound ?
I never had a pair of rockfords !
I am trying to stuff a kicker L5 in my truck , should be no big deal but I want to port it and the specs I found want a 23" long port in a 2.14 cubic box (not only long but 6" diameter)
I went slot to save space but my problem lies in fitting the port under the speaker .
I was going to just seal it but that driver seems like it wants a lot of power, and my 350 watt D class may not do it ..

bottomfeeder said:
how did it sound ?
I never had a pair of rockfords !

Average. Either Danny the installer or the customer really wanted to use a bandpass box, and there wasn't much room for it. I did an isobarik design to work the bandpass into the available space. Beyond that, I don't remember much about it (~1992), not even the car. Most Rockford woofers were, to me, just another woofer.

The 4-MTX setup sounded great, very solid. Orion 2125SX for power, and I would give in before the amp or woofers did. That was from '88. Again, these were just average woofers. But with a much better supporting staff. The shop owner really wanted to use a pair of 15's, but I couldn't see doing that to a 930.

Can you run your L5 port outside the box, underneath, or down a side?

tsmith1315 said:

Can you run your L5 port outside the box, underneath, or down a side?

The cabinet sits on the floor behind the driver seat and extends
over the floor hump , its about 12" tall , it has a compartment for the jack and the seats rest against it .
So no along side or under wont work , I was thinking about externall but too ugley .
One thought I just had is to run the port externall going under the front seat with the mouth under the driver seat .
If my newest port sounds weird (the mouth is close to the magnet , and gets witin a inch of 4 walls possibly eating up room .
The slot tube I built is 3x10x23" it has A "L" 8"down from the top than the tube goes towards the magnet .
I will include pix .

Re: H/T sub

bottomfeeder said:
I have GREAT results using 2 mtx 5500's, in clamshell configuration. The sub cabinet is behind my 52" TV in the cornor so space is tight , its in a 3.5 cubic sealed .
YES two drivers in 3.5 cubic each Would put out 4 DB more but it would recquire another 3.5 cubic box (that I cant fit) ..
So I turned to WINISD to see what happens before I built .
The sub frequency is only down 7.5 DB at 20 hertz !
Since the sub is in the cornor I also get gain from the three walls .
Bottom line this sub goes louder and deeper than any other sub I ever had !
I drive it with a crown XLS 402 and a externall xover .

here is some pix of that iso .
HOW DO MAKE A PICTURE SMALLER SO IT WILL BE ACCEPTED IN THIS !!!!!!!!

23" long port in a 2.14 cubic box (not only long but 6" diameter)
I was going to just seal it but that driver seems like it wants a lot of power, and my 350 watt D class may not do it .. [/B]

Attachments

• truck sub low quality.jpg
    truck sub low quality.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 75
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.