Isobaric driver orientation: which is best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, new to this forum. I vote for the clamshell.

For what it is worth I just built a clamshell-oriented ported isobaric sub box. My original intent was to go with sealed isobaric for low tight bass in a small enclosure (for my car). However after testing the unit in the sealed configuration I was unhappy with the SPL for the amount of power applied to it. Knew it would be low (as mentioned in previous posts) but not that low!

Fortunately the existng enclosure was perfect for a ported design. I added a port (tuned out for speaker specs, box volume, port dia, length) and wow what a difference. It is much louder. I cannot wait to get it in my car, so far I have just tested it in the house and it is fantastic.

The response is still low even with the port setup. The response at 45 Hz or so is 5dB louder with the vented box (over sealed) according to the design software. I believe it based on what I have heard so far.

Oh yeah and I used a 3/4" spacer ring between the subs to keep the suspensions from colliding.

FYI - subwoofer specs
Cerwin-Vega HED 10" subs x 2 (on sale at Best Buy cheap)
0.8 cu ft. box built from 3/4" MDF
outer box dimensions 34"x12"x6" (required by car configuration)
12 ozs. of Polyfill added to box
3" dia PVC port, 21" long
estimated Qts = 1.05
estimated Fs = 30 Hz
estimated 112 dB SPL@ 300W RMS

Generally isobarik give a lot better quality. It can make miracle with cheap driver.(like those cheap but powerful car sub at consumer electronic shop)

It's definitly less efficient but not that bad.

just use some driver with at least 90 spl/w/m.

Yeah, you got it JBL, cheap Cerwin-Vegas from Best Buy :).

Just got it in the car, finally got the amp straightened out. The demo amp unit I bought was bad, checked the wiring three times before I finally returned it for a new unit....

Anyway, it works very well. It shakes the crap out of the rear view mirror, always a good sign. Not quite a bounce-the-quarter-on-the-roof system, but plenty loud still. The bass response is tight, not muddy, and deep. Punchy, not boomy, perfect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.