Is TRIPATH Class "T" Outdated Performance - Or Not?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Diogenio,

To try to reply to your original question: The Tripath specs are not clearly outdated and the question I find of secondary importance. The Tripath sound is arguably among the best which is primary, with a slight weakness in bass-control compared to TPA3255. While the technical specs in general seem to improve with time, the sound quality does not necessarily improve as well.

IMO, the 3116/3118 chips (properly implemented) are very natural sounding, and I say this as a fan of tube amplification. I also use a Tripath 2020 (on a secondary system) and I agree with another member that the overall sound is very similar to the 3116/3118 chips. If any of these were "cold", "clinical", "sterile" they would be in my junk box.

Note: I tried a cheap Chinese implementation of the 3116 and hated it. Then I tried a locally designed 3118 board (The Wiener, by member GMarsh et. al.) and it blew me away. It is now my main amp for use when the weather is simply too hot for tubes - and truth be told I could easily live with it year round.
But I also must have an amp that has zero risk of blowing up! My custom speakers not only cost > $10K but have Yamaha JA6681B drivers with irreplaceable diaphragms. Please advise.

I have a couple of 2021B boards from a German DIYer with ultra low noise regulated PS. yes, they are not the most powerful ( I also own several nice 3116 and 3255 boards) but 2021b is seductive in its own way. It will draw you into music because the sound is very unique. No they don't sound similar to 3116 or 3255!
Class D amps have a tendency to sound "rushed" and not pacing quite right at times. 2021b exhibits less of this flaw. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Brilliant little things IMO. I purchased a Leipai Tripath amp, took the TA2020 out and made my own design & PCB which included the option of using a light-speed attenuator for the volume control. Still going strong! I even drive it using a SMPS supply (shock! horror!).

A

T-Class TA2020.jpg

Hi,

I thought to describe it as "red board" in lack of a better way or a link. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on ebay anymore where I bought mine about ten years ago. Pictures might help. Those big caps are retrofit.

Attachments

• P1050434.JPG
    P1050434.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 107
  • P1050435.JPG
    P1050435.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 109
Wow, smart audio people! What a pleasure - just registered after reading several posts about Class T and Tripath. I'm an MSEE specializing in controls so only know a little about audio amps. Bought a Panasonic CQ-C8803U CD car stereo in 2006 for my 1998 Ford Windstar. At same time bought Infinity Kappa 2-ohm speakers X 4, not knowing how the whole thing would work out. SURPRISE (very pleasant). Best audio I ever heard in any system or setting. So I started investigation.
The CQ-C8803U incorporated a Tripath Class T (35W X 4 RMS) in a single-DIN package with OLED display. It has an outboard switching power supply to boost the 12V to 30V for greater useful range and less heat. This was about the last car stereo Panasonic made. Then came the other surprise - the Infinity Kappa used a neodymium magnet on the woofer. With a 100w rating, each speaker weighed less than 2 lbs.
The deepest, clearest bass I ever heard - down to 40HZ with all the harmonics emanating from the same physical location.
Also, the CQ-C8803U incorporated SRS (absorbed by DTS) surround sound. I stumbled into the greatest sounding car system ever.
But Panasonic stopped making car stereos and Infinity quit (had to) using neodymium bass speakers and my CQ-C8803U CD player just crapped out after 15 years of heavy use. The speakers are still great but the CQ-C8803U won't play CDs.
Question: Does anyone know of a single-DIN head unit with Class T or late-technology clean Class D - CD or USB? Some Sony's have class D but none are available. Is there a 12 volt USB player with RCA out that I can connect to the CQ-C8803U AUX input?
Ideas?
PM is disable I have Panasonic CQ-C9800U NEW in box

I think I must be very lucky. Picked up a Dr. Amp from Ebay a couple of years ago, in unused condition. I'm playing with different Opamps to see what, if any, difference they make. Just switched out the original 5532 for a new LM4562. The amp cost me £25 and is very solidly engineered. It has an original Tripath TA2024, and sounds great straight from a Khadas Tone Board.
Dr Amp Opamp.jpg

Attachments

• DrAMP-English.pdf
    828 KB · Views: 92
Hello,
I have to write that I am still impressed with Tripath technology. I still use Tripath chips, more than 15 years and I can't see any alternative at the moment. Although the results of other manufacturers show better results, I am not convinced.
I've already tried Maxim small chips, Infineon, IR and TI, but unfortunately they don't sound as good. I'm still using TA2021B for my products and slowly my supply is running low, I'm getting desperate :D. I'm sorry that this is exactly what happened, the big guys pushed Tripath out of the market because someone small can't be as good and they can continue to sell inferior products.
I'm currently using the red pcb because it's really ultimate and works great. I wind the coils by hand on a T60-2 core because it has the best results, very little noise. One manufacturer has 10uH has excellent coils that I will use in my design later.

Open source project for DiyAudio forum with TA2021B, AMP225T link:

https://audiologs.com/AMP225T/AMP225T_project.zip

some open source projects if you want to do it yourself:

TA2021B red board

Attachments

• AMP225T-AL.jpg
    AMP225T-AL.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 38
  • TA2021B_RED.jpg
    TA2021B_RED.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 33
  • TA2021B_RED_smd_side.JPG
    TA2021B_RED_smd_side.JPG
    706.7 KB · Views: 35
  • TA2021B_RED_in_Action.jpg
    TA2021B_RED_in_Action.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I'm sorry that this is exactly what happened, the big guys pushed Tripath out of the market because someone small can't be as good and they can continue to sell inferior products.
I think there was a lot more to it than that. It didn't help that Tripath shot themselves in the foot with some of their products. The TA010xA modules were an absolute flop due how easily they would self-destruct and how expensive they were. It was always the FET drivers that died, but they made the dumb decision to encase them in epoxy and hide the whole circuit in a black box so that it couldn't just be repaired. The TA3020 had similar issues.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It also did not help that Dr Tripathi made quite a few promises he couldn't fulfill ... He was a great engineer, but lousy businessman....

In the end, Wall Street Crucified Tripath...also a bit surprised Cirrus Logic , the company that purchased all IP from Tripath, has done nothing with it.... as far as I see...

I owned quite a few Tripath shares (TRPH) and lost my butt!!

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It also did not help that Dr Tripathi made quite a few promises he couldn't fulfill ... He was a great engineer, but lousy businessman....

In the end, Wall Street Crucified Tripath...also a bit surprised Cirrus Logic , the company that purchased all IP from Tripath, has done nothing with it.... as far as I see...

Very tragic that an amplifier-on a mere chip, no less-with so obviously a beloved and special sound (300B SET tube amp-like??), but which is no longer with us. Was there ever an attempt to clone the amp with discrete circuitry, before those bums at Cirrus Logic destroyed the schematic or locked it away forever?

Joined 2012
Paid Member

Very tragic that an amplifier-on a mere chip, no less-with so obviously a beloved and special sound (300B SET tube amp-like??), but which is no longer with us. Was there ever an attempt to clone the amp with discrete circuitry, before those bums from Cirrus Logic destroyed the schematic or locked it away forever?

Last edited: