Is this scope a good deal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a Tektronix 2235 100MHz dual channel scope, calibrated, with probe, and with manual; for a $330 including shipping from ebay.

I recommend looking for scopes that include the probes and manual, that's over $100 worth of value easily. As someone else said, having a scope callibrated is not cheap either, get one pre-calibrated.

sniping

Brian Donaldson [/I] Brian/ aware of sneaky bargain shoppers[/QUOTE] [QUOTE][I]originally posted by dwjj said:
That's called sniping. It has become an artform and sport. The motto of the sniper is "bid late, bid once". I've seen items go up 10X in the last 30 seconds. I've seen multiple people put bids in in the last 10 seconds.
As long as the auction is open, bids are fine. Snipers aren't doing anything illegal. The auction doesn't belong to you if you don't have the highest bid at the end-why do you associate bids that are later and higher than yours with stealing???

I`m a "sneaky bargain shopper" and sniping is exactly what I do when buying at ebay and I do not at all consider this as reprehensibly and I can tell You why:
Maybe You are not aware of it but a lot (and I mean a LOT) of sellers are bidding on their own auctions by themselves through (sometimes even multiple) fake accounts or through friends and relatives thus artificially raising the prices.
Mostly (of course not always) You can identify this when there are bidders who bid in many many small increments.
Sometimes when I want to waste some time I make some fun games identifying those "self-bidders" on basis of their recent feedback or currently running auctions - when who was/is bidding on what or when they leave feedback and so on (left feedback like: "great item, wonderful seller...." half an hour after the auction closed can tell You what....). If I had the time I could find a dozen of those every day.
As I´m sick of this and to avoid paying much more than necessary, I bid only once of what I´m willing to pay as max. as close at the end as possible.
If I don`t get it .....well... then not.

It's all part of the game as dwjj said already.

Sorry for the off topic comments:rolleyes:

To add something along the lines though:
A few weeks ago I sniped :) a Tek 466 on ebay, in mint condition, case freshly sprayed with original Tek colour, calibrated to Tek specifications, aged in for 100 hours and calibration rechecked again - for $172 ....... a bargain.:eek:
Curiously still awaiting the beauty:cloud9:

there have been a couple of the high end TEK scopes (TDS3XXX) for sale of late-- pictures taken right from the TEK website -- sellers with a lot of positives -- but when you look at the items which they have sold to generate the positives they have nothing to do with electronics, etc. so a big caveat emptor is in order here.

I bookmark the sellers auctions and then just go back to the folks I deem to be reliable.

OTOH -- in electronics one of the best sellers is "asset-manager" -- this is the disposal arm of Raytheon and all of their stuff is top rate (or they disclose the problems very clearly.) This is a link to the auctions they have going on now:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...id=asset-manager&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.