is this an alpine amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used some of the early 35xx like 3518, 3527, and up. I think they sound really nice. Never had say a 3555/etc, the large ones. Just seems like there were many more LP/PPI/SS/etc 100 or more watts a channel out there. And often the alpines did not like to be run at low loads like others did. The newer mrv I have not used, I have one to try its the 1002 and I think it will have plenty of power since it is rather large, but they are different design amps than the 35xx. The old ones I've seen used an IC for the differential amps IIRC but looking at ampguts the later ones like 3555 and 3522 do not have them. I have a 3542 I'm trying to rebuild that does and is 2x60w. Some say they are not that great but I was impressed for some reason. Well, I have used other good amps too I guess the alpine worked nice, pretty compact, and looks cool or like I think an amp should. If I want max output I would use something else like a linear power, sound stream, PPI, etc. if you mean old amps before MRV. RF made some good ones too and I'm sure there are others. I have used alpine, SS, and PPI mostly for my high side amps but have some others to try soon. People like the old phoenix gold for example, and when I was into it I never saw one around here so I never used one.

Lol, I would hesitate to call an MRV alpine 'old' even though it is getting that way.

The early black jvc amps were actually built excellent and sounded just as good. They were actually the early denons that sold at "high end" stores like "good guys" and others. After they stopped being built in japan they crapped out. I'd love to have another of the first series. Does anyone have one of the smaller ones lying around?

I had a pyramid from the 80s that worked pretty good, it was black and sort of a pyramid shape. I have a speco now that looks just like it. Have to check it out when I get time think it is broken. For some reason I sold the pyramid, guess because it was good not great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.