Is this a real TDA1541A?

What do you guys think of this?

TDA1541AS2.jpg

Apologies for butting in.

Out of curiosity. Has anyone ever bought one of these?
Do they actually work as a DAC? Is it just an 'old' 1541 which has been re-decalled (the pins in the above photo look un-soldered) or is there a Chinese Factory actually making TDA1541A's that 'work' and then trying to get even more money by labelling them with two Crowns?

As I say, just curious. If they are indeed making 'new' ones, it seems a waste not to do it 'properly' and just make some good, new TDA1541A's to Philips spec'n.

Cheers one and all,

P.

There are so many around that I suspect (guess) a Chinese factory is making them. There are thousands listed for sale on IC markets. You could go into production with this chip. Yes they work fine, and sound fine. They are doing it properly.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

23,697 pieces available.

Dam nice graphics anyway.

Any other reasons you think it's fake?

From Google I can see that there isn't necessarily a standard shape of crown for S1 chips - and this includes chips already installed in older equipment.

I can only say that it sounds better than my R1.

Anyone else care to weigh in too?

Last edited:
To answer my own question I'm satisfied that it's genuine.

Gut instinct tells me it's real just from the sound. But I also did some digging and managed to find a chip with the exact same codes that looks just like mine, including the crown. That one was from a reputable seller who pulled the chips from some Spectral gear.