• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is this a good tube DIY kit to get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tube diffs

Guys,
Sorry for all the posts. I noticed that the Wave 8 uses ECL82 or 6BM8 tubes and the S5 monoblock uses 11MS8 tubes. Furthermore, the S5 integrated stereo amp uses 11BM8 tubes. Then, there is the Bottlehead Foreplay that I ordered which has the following tubes: "The circuit uses one 12AU7 tube per channel, or one of the 12AU7 variants, 5814, 5963, 6189, etc."

Is one tube any better than the other. I know these are cheap amps and I'm building two monoblocks and a preamp for under $400, so I shouldn't have any buyer's remorse.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Tube diffs

Jhovis said:
ECL82 or 6BM8.... 11MS8...11BM8

11BM8 should be a 6BM8 just a different filament voltage. The 11MS8 is a similar triode/pentode. The 6BM8 is/was widely used in audio so their is more experience with it. All 3 are also used in TVs, and the 11V heater versions were primamrily aimed at that ap. But with the unual filament voltage there are probably stashes of these that sold VERY cheap allowing the kits to come out at such low prices. It wouldn't take much to convery one amp to another -- you would need an additional filament trafo to switch an 11v to 6BM8s (unless there is enuff available juice for the filaments to throw away some by regulating the filament supply -- maybe on the monoblocs, probably not on the others). The plate resistance on the 11MS8s is a bit lower than the BM8s thou.

dave

My 1950s(?) reel to reel recorder uses the ECL82!

Hello,

I just popped open one of the amps for my old reel to reel recorder to take digital shots of all components and have found that each amp uses the ECL82.

The stereo reel to reel recorder that I have is a Pentron Triumph modle XP-60S.

It is hard to put a date to this recorder.

Does anyone know when the ECL82 was first introduced?

The earliest amp I could find in an eBay search that uses the ECL82 was 1961.

Darren

Here is my reel to reel recorder summer project. :)

Attachments

• ecl82.jpg
    ecl82.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 549
S5 K501 update

The little monoblock kits arrived a little while ago. The first thing I noticed was the size of each box (9 x 4.5 x 6.5 inches). Having never seen one, I was surprised at the smallness. The PC Board is approx 4 x 5". The first individual part I looked for was the tube sockets. I can't really tell what they are made of, but I don't think they're plastic. I am pretty sure they are ceramic which is what I expected since the problem has been known for over a year. The monoblock version uses 11MS8 tubes instead of 11BM8 that are used in the stereo version. These tubes are also small and measure 3" tip to tip.

BTW, I bought the monoblocks from Antique Electronic Supply www.tubesandmore.com These don't need a preamp, but I did order a Bottlehead Foreplay. I'll put together a site with the build progress and post the link here. I'm also building a set of folded horns with Fostex drivers and a Fostex super tweeter. If this tube project goes well, I'm thinking about building the Paramours as a winter project. I do plan to make these S5 monoblocks nice and pretty and implement the mods I've read about. I'm replacing the knobs, power cord, power switch and probably the RCA jacks and speaker terminals. I'll decide what to buy after I read through the assembly instructions.

**Is there anyplace I can look to find some general safety rules for handling these things? For instance, after I assemble it and I want to make a mod: How do I discharge this thing to keep from getting electricuted.

The actual "bread board" is 8.5 x 5.5". I'm going to build my own wood cases. I've built lots of speakers and I can build a nice little case for them. I'll mount the PC board to a piece of pegboard instead of the pine board they sent. I'll then mount it inside the wood case. That will allow air in and offer some protection for the bad stuff inside. I'm going to use a door kick plate from Home Depot for the top and some spikes from Parts Express for the feet.

Re: S5 K501 update

Jhovis said:
**Is there anyplace I can look to find some general safety rules for handling these things? For instance, after I assemble it and I want to make a mod: How do I discharge this thing to keep from getting electricuted.

Hey Jeff,

Check out http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30172

At the top of the "Everything Else" forum.

Have fun, and be safe! :RIP: :scratch2:

George Ferguson

PS Thanks for the Home Depot kick plate idea--I've been looking for inexpensive plates for breadboarding and experimenting.

It has a preamp and one input. I know a DVD player and a tuner (I read that on the S5 site) will work, but I'm not sure about a phono. I assembled two mono amp versions, the K501, from Antique Electronic Supply and ordered a Bottlehead preamp which hasn't come yet. I still need to build wooden cases for mine and then build some high efficiency speakers.

push pull 11bm8 amplifier kit

Hi,
I built one. I heartily recommend it. Mine is dead quiet, even on 104 db speakers.
Sound is good, but less bass. I am going to try and chage the output trannies, nd maybe caps & diodes. I need to build a cabinet for mine too, so far it is breadboarded. SOunds pretty good.
-akhilesh

Re: push pull 11bm8 amplifier kit

akhilesh said:
Hi,
I built one. I heartily recommend it. Mine is dead quiet, even on 104 db speakers.
Sound is good, but less bass. I am going to try and chage the output trannies, nd maybe caps & diodes. I need to build a cabinet for mine too, so far it is breadboarded. SOunds pretty good.
-akhilesh

I am leaning towards this kit. I like the price and it gets good reviews. If I do pick up the kit, I'd be looking to add an input selector and a headphone out. I would also incorporate the upgrades at http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/K-12M_AMP/K-12M_Push_Pull.html

The only thing holding me back is that I may be getting an old tube pre-amp and amp which I may rebuild.

Do you have a website documenting your 104 dB speakers?

Cheers,
GM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.