Is this a class D amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks, when you say all transistor, do you mean as in a class D amplifier.?...or class a or class AB?

It doesn't really matter, it makes no difference - although (as others have said) it's 100% certain NOT to be class A :D

Either class D or AB will provide quality FAR beyond anything you want for a guitar, hence the prior signal processing to reduce quality.

But even for HiFi or PA use, class D and class AB are pretty much as good as each other.

The ultimate musical instrument amplifier will be able to learn the "sound character" of any other existing amplifier. With modern DSP power, correlating input and output signals and extrapolating all the complex distortion patterns involved is no longer science fiction.

The ultimate musical instrument amplifier will be able to learn the "sound character" of any other existing amplifier. With modern DSP power, correlating input and output signals and extrapolating all the complex distortion patterns involved is no longer science fiction.

Like my buddies fancy digital pedal with 100 presets, where a lot of them hum and buzz when hes not playing just like the lousy amps they model!

My £0.02

If you look at the body of work of the engineers involved you can make a sensible deduction as to what class the amp might be. The Marshall dynamic bass system used rail switching or class G operation in the power amp. This would seem to agree with the 'sounds louder than the power would indicate' type claims - a bit of extra rail for the transients will give extra perceived volume. The DBS was designed by a certain BK, although you might find another amplifier with a very similar topology.

Jedmar:- From "reading inbetween your lines" it seems to me that you know more about this than you are letting on.

From what you said i think you are implying that the Blackstar amp is not class D, but instead is Class AB.?

And by the way, i take back what i said about Jim Marshall being possibly burnt out........i,ve just heard that he's started producing fridges and other white goods now, with the Marshall brand name on them.

I don't think this really matters as it is a modelling amplifier.
modelling amplifiers usually use a speaker with wider range than normal guitar speakers ( the reason is usually: "properly emulate different amplifiers, EQs, poweramps and speakers" )
being said this, it means they are not meant to be over driven at the power section.
( i have to say i have no idea how a class D amplifier sound when it is clipping, the only comparison i have is a Roland micro cube i had as a practice amp, and it was pretty terrible at high volumes)

If you have the amp, or have physical access to the amp it is easy to find out, if the power rating on the back is close to a 100 watts, then it is class D, if it is higher than 120 watts it is probably class AB.
But all this means nothing as commercial amps are usually have smaller transformers that would be really needed for the real performance. (i have seen (class AB) 100 watt amplifiers with a power supply rated at 80VA...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.