Is there such thing as filter free Fullrangers..??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi JandG,

Unfortunately we dissassembled the Sabas after the event. We just put it together using what ever parts we had... and the blend wasn't really seamless... but we had lots of fun...:D The figures you gave looks quite alright try working around those figures. Yes, the black cones can play louder and have better control and meatier sound... have fun.

Can't believe this one...

I went to install my black cone Saba's this evening & found out they are 7" version VAC. So no go in existing baffles, I will build more. But this led to puuting back in the green cones & hooking direct to driver . No notch , No nothing, expected the same peak, but after wandering around doing other stuff I noticed that the organic wonderment of these was back with a vengence..like the notch in play but, with LIFE & no Ribbon in play , also disconnected. I did add ALOT more blue tack to variouse areas of basket, & did alot to get it out, but was still slightly there. anyway..sitting in THE spot , i looked up & low & behold the 10' x 6' set of very thick curtains were ClOSED directly behind the OB's, usually never closed & only the folds behing the OB's..This is a great discovery for me with these drivers & OB in general.. everything is better.clearer yet & organic bigtime.. even the speed, transients, or what ever is better.. easily audible,, NO PEAK,, that I can hear..no pearsing , no ice pick, what the .......?Can some one explain what the thick material in the curtains does to tame a peak or in general to OB reflections ..? I am seriousely going to pay major attention to the back wall in this OB game from now on...heck it sounds to me like you have to do something to your back wall if running tight like me, 2 & 1/2 foot from back wall & 4-5 foot from corners.Mt active OB bottom support is in play but reduced to 70hz & 180 out. Dang this is fun,,

Re: Can't believe this one...

JandG said:
I went to install my black cone Saba's this evening & found out they are 7" version VAC. So no go in existing baffles, I will build more. But this led to puuting back in the green cones & hooking direct to driver . No notch , No nothing, expected the same peak, but after wandering around doing other stuff I noticed that the organic wonderment of these was back with a vengence..like the notch in play but, with LIFE & no Ribbon in play , also disconnected. I did add ALOT more blue tack to variouse areas of basket, & did alot to get it out, but was still slightly there. anyway..sitting in THE spot , i looked up & low & behold the 10' x 6' set of very thick curtains were ClOSED directly behind the OB's, usually never closed & only the folds behing the OB's..This is a great discovery for me with these drivers & OB in general.. everything is better.clearer yet & organic bigtime.. even the speed, transients, or what ever is better.. easily audible,, NO PEAK,, that I can hear..no pearsing , no ice pick, what the .......?Can some one explain what the thick material in the curtains does to tame a peak or in general to OB reflections ..? I am seriousely going to pay major attention to the back wall in this OB game from now on...heck it sounds to me like you have to do something to your back wall if running tight like me, 2 & 1/2 foot from back wall & 4-5 foot from corners.Mt active OB bottom support is in play but reduced to 70hz & 180 out. Dang this is fun,,

This is Cool !!
I'm glad that you decided to keep going with the Saba Greens. It doesn't hurt sometimes to change venues and ventilate the brain cells. I've put away projects for weeks or even months and then returned to them a relatively refreshed perspective. Also having all the extras (filters, tweeter, etc.) disconnected allows you to hear what is actually happening.

As to the certains, it looks as if the refected backwave was reinforcing certain frequencies. If you had a peak and the distances were just right it could, I suppose, reinforce and add to the peak frequency. Several have commented in the past about how nice it is to listen to their speakers outdoors without all the room modes and reflections.

JandG, have you tried the felt yet?
:smash:

Anyhow, I'm glad that you're getting closer to your goal.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Felt is today..

have the weekend off & going to felt the basket inside legs..Bieng honest it is about 95% tamed. the remaining 5% is a come & go & barely there. the come & go is a mystery I will solve..I am tempted to sslowly treat the whole dang back wall.!!!!!!!!!!!I think I will. nothing fancy, just felt of similar material. man, therre ain't notnin like a filter free Fullranger when It is on.. My big comparisons are guitar tone...if it fools me into what I can produce myself..tonewise...I am getting close to very happy..also taking the ribbon out today & putting in some Tele 10ohm paper cone tweets to play with...my not like em , but fun. ribbons are cool, but they ain't Alnico & paper....

JandG, when working with ob's i have found it helpful to drap material over the back of the driver/baffle. Each driver wants something different in thickness or looseness to not smother the backwave completely or to cause any boxiness. Flannel seems to be helpful often. It's reminds me of a very light aperiodic filter.
It is not the same as treating the wall as it can impede the backwave that gives life to the ob sound. But it is helpful for me to understand how much backwave I want - in this room, with which driver. It's quicker than room treatment and easily removeable.
Ultimately I agree with no covering up the rear of the driver/baffle to be pure ob. Personally I do whatever sounds best, maybe just for an evening or only one song.
This idea is just another tool to learn to work with the wildness and freedom of ob's imo.
Don

Regarding the original question, I confirm that several varieties of supravox are just perfect without filters: 215RTF64 as a start, and all the way up, if you can afford them. Some of them need a tweeter, but that's it. And they are very good in OB!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.