Is there in Bass, no Stereo?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here a a few more that I have analyzed, it's a mixed bag of stereo vs mono bass.
If there is any trend so far, I see that vinyl is more likely to be mixed mono or near mono in the LF than CD. Also on both LP and CD "fancier" recordings tend to have more stereo bass than the typical 4-5 piece rock band. But not always, as we see with a high concept album like DSOTM.

The Appleyard is track is a Direct to Disk recording on lovely white vinyl. It doesn't have much stereo at all, and it certainly looks like they mixed to mono in the low end. From the goofy old LP Bongos! we see a lot of stereo all the way down. Moon River on LP is also very stereo across the spectrum. However the Moody Blues on 70s vintage vinyl is rolling off to mono under 1kHz! A couple of Simon and Garfunkel tracks are surprisingly stereo, even in the bass. Also included is a rather bad vinyl rip that I did of Martin Denny's Exotica from a mono LP. It should have zero stereo content, but does show some stereo at 25-30 dB below the normal mono signal. I suspect that this is caused by my rather poor setup and the time, but it's important to see. Further testing need to be done there.

Attachments

• Appleyard DD vinyl.png
    Appleyard DD vinyl.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Bridge over troubled waters S-G.png
    Bridge over troubled waters S-G.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Cecelia S-G.png
    Cecelia S-G.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Grand Canyon Gould.png
    Grand Canyon Gould.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Rodeo Gould.png
    Rodeo Gould.png
    17 KB · Views: 9
  • Pictures at an Exibition Reiner.png
    Pictures at an Exibition Reiner.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Moody Blues vinyl.png
    Moody Blues vinyl.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Moon River vinyl.png
    Moon River vinyl.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Bongos vinyl.png
    Bongos vinyl.png
    17 KB · Views: 9
  • Martin Denny mono vinyl.png
    Martin Denny mono vinyl.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did an interesting experiment with a demixer (AI).

One can easily listen to bass lines with a headphone, they are very well separated from the tracks.

Here's a bass line. You can apply a high cut filter at any frequency and look with a spectral pan display.
You can also invert-copy one channel to the other and look at the result. It's not zero but very low in amplitude.

Attachments

• Bass.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well there seemed to be a good bit with my Stanton cart on a Grado maple tonearem. My setup got briefly much better with a vintage Audio Technica arm and an AT cart. The amount of artifacts was much lower. Alas I don't seem to have done any dual mono recordings recordings from it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I ran a few more today. These are all classical music which is where I've heard stereo bass the most. Do classical recordings - especially orchestral and organ works - have stereo bass? It would seem so, many have very wide stereo that is often more prominent than the mono content with some showing stereo well below 20 Hz. Labels are RCA, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, EMI, Musica Viva and others. You will see more or less stereo effect in these recordings, but all have it.
Remember that the Mid plot is the mono part of the recording, the Side plot is the stereo part.

Attachments

• Organ Sadler  Musica Viva.png
    Organ Sadler Musica Viva.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Concertino for Organ.png
    Concertino for Organ.png
    18 KB · Views: 8
  • Dvorak Symphony 9 CSO.png
    Dvorak Symphony 9 CSO.png
    18 KB · Views: 10
  • America in Paris DG.png
    America in Paris DG.png