Is there any DIY equipment that sound bad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the topic

Interesting, to say the least...
So you also did the dance of the ESL´s? I´m asking because I dealt
with all the frustations associated with electrostatics for almost 3
months. This was three years ago.
And for the next 2 and half years I had the best sounding speakers
on this planet(?). But it cost me a lot of time, effort, desperation and
money, of course.
But look on the positive side as I did, I learnt a lot, I learnt so much
that I´m going to build another pair this summer.
Believe me, it was a nightmare because I didn´t know diddly about
making electrostatics from scratch and I struggled with my ignorance
for quite some time. And then, little by little, a window started opening
and things came into place and when I finished them and put them
in my system it was like some sense of acomplishment and pleasure
because the speakers sounded really good.
SPL? Yes, the ESL are not known for a great sound pressure, mine
give me enough for the room where they are, but on the other hand
I don´t need more (I don´t listen to rock), and sometimes I even
have to decrease the level.
So, believe me you´re not alone, just apply yourself a little more
and You´ll be rewarded, I´m sure.
But remember to make two of them, one is not enough....

Two things:

1. I think most people want to brag about their success and are less likely to post about failures.

2. A failure is something that isn't right when you quit working on it. Around here, someone can post with a question and have literally hundreds of eyes looking over it. So, you've got a much better chance of getting it working!

My biggest failure was my first set of speakers, a pair of floor standing 3-ways, 27TFFC, Audax HM170Z0 mid, and CSX10" bass drivers...circa 1997. Only done through simulation, no measurements.

Ouch.

Bright would not begin to describe it.

Scott

Hi

Everyone had failed attempts and bad sounding amps. The worst sounding amp I built was based on TDA 7294. Totally lifeless. I gave it to a friend who is using it for some small subs.
We build things to learn and save money. In fact, if we consider the time we spend for research, building, testing, then the monetary difference is not that huge. As Grey pointed out, this is supposed to be fun. But there are certain moments when we may find ourselves spending more time tweaking an amp (or building a new one) than actually enjoying the music. This happened to me. It is important to know when to stop. If we don’t allow ourselves to relax and enjoy our “product”, why bother building it? In DIY we strive for the perfect sound. But, as one of my university professors said “The perfect is the enemy of the good”.

I consider the pass ZEN amp to be good. In my opinion, Aleph 2 is perfect. But, I’d rather listen to ZEN and have a drink with friends, than spend months building an Aleph.
Maybe sometime in a future. In the meantime, have fun.

Regards,

Vix

Vix said:

Everyone had failed attempts and bad sounding amps. The worst sounding amp I built was based on TDA 7294. Totally lifeless. I gave it to a friend who is using it for some small subs.

:bawling:

My gainclone is based on a TDA7294, because I couldn't find the LM chips here. But I like it, even if I didn't have the occation to compare to many other amps

One of my first Projects was an intergrated Amplifier.
Preamplifier stage with an IC LM from national, I cant remember the number. :xeye:
It was one of those ICs that had Bass, Treble, Balanced and Volume with DC Control using 4 10KOhm pots. :whazzat:
The amp modules where a KIT from a local store 30-60 Watts I think.
That was over 20 years ago.
That thing sounded so bad. The Power Supplies were minimal and the dynamics were not there. :dead:
The speakers where 3 ways with all the parts stuck in a ready box not even calculated for them etc.
But I learned a lot from that set up.

Vix said:
...I consider the pass ZEN amp to be good. In my opinion, Aleph 2 is perfect. But, I’d rather listen to ZEN and have a drink with friends, than spend months building an Aleph....

Isn't that what it's all about? Having time to enjoy your work?
Even if it's not perfect, a project can still be good (...enough for you). Isn't that the primary criteria for calling a DIY project a success?

Nothing is perfect, everything is a compromise. But if you like your choice of compromises, enjoy the result. Commercial products make different compromises than a DIY'er. Thus the result is different. Not that DIY'ing is always cheaper, but doesn't the indiviual choice of compromises and gained knowlede have a value?

I've built some amps, most of which I like. As I've run out of things to power with my amps, I've started to read about, ask about, and eventually start building speakers.

I don't expect to make the perfect speaker, but even though I would be happy to end up with something nice sounding, my main criteria for success here is learning.

If I learned from a project it's a success (even if learning means to find out why the project doesn't work). If my ears like the result too, it's an added bonus.

Jennice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.