Is there an improvement potential, or are these trash?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hole in the dustcap tweak

One poster recommended removing the dustcap, and I agree, but it may be simpler to just try the hole-in-the-dustcap tweak, using a soldering iron. Just make a 6-8 millimeter hole using the tip of your iron...this elliminates some of the distortion your hear in midrange. You'll also hear your tweeter more distinctly, since the woofer is running fullrange. I've tried on my fullrange drivers and it works. Since your already running a tweeter, you won't have any drop off in treble, but you will hear an improvement, IMO.

BTW, replacing the capacitor is essential as you can now hear. I use to use cheap electrolytic caps and when I finally decided to buy the more expensive poly caps, I noticed an improvement right away. I use a lot of cheaper drivers in my projects, but I won't skimp on crossover components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.