Is there a TQWP design for the FR125SR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I sit here, I'm listening to my first pair of homemade speakers. They are the old Weems pipes with 40-1354s, and I love them dearly. I'm wanting to make something similar with better drivers, and the FR125SR look really interesting. Has anyone modeled them in a TQWP? Or built some? The spec sheet on the CSS website mentions a bunch of designs, but I couldn't find any of them.
Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One of the best implementations I have heard is the Calhoun from Scottmoose and planet10. It's a big box but an easy build. The side mounting of the second driver is a big plus. It's about halfway down the page.

You can see it here on Dave's site:

http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn-plans.html

Attachments

• img_0469.jpg
    img_0469.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 461
FWIW I made an adapter to mount the original version of this driver into some existing 40-1354 MLTLs with excellent results, though I did finally tune them a bit lower to take advantage of its prodigious Xmax, so I imagine you can get similar results from your existing Weems pipe with possibly only some stuffing adjustment.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
It appears to be a bit too large, but damping will take care of that if required and of course you'll need some BSC if well away from any boundaries.

Note that this driver has no rising rate suspension to protect it against bottoming like the 1354 does, though I found my pair to be very robust with no audible problems after numerous 'clanks' playing PF's DSOTM and Jimmy Smith's 'ROUND MIDNIGHT at levels loud enough to bring the apartment neighbors over to be amazed at how loud/clear these small drivers play. ;)

GM

planet10 said:

Cal's boxes are the best i've heard with this driver.

dave

Special Ed said:

Which boxes are those?

Remember that Cal's boxes have 2 drivers per cabinet, with the second one on the side of "chamber", mirror imaged to provide tons of placement flexibility and tailoring of soundstage to the room - don't be tempted to mount both on the front.

FWIW, the mini-onken* (FR125) is a great performer in a little box, but the by the time you consider required stands, the footprint is about the same as any of the SPAWN family, and I'd concur that the Calhouns are the best implementation of unassisted FR125's I've yet heard.

*the Fostex version of this design, particularly with fully EnABLed drivers is a different class altogether - they won't rock out like the FR125's, but certainly excel in other areas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.