Is the UcD modulation scheme less than optimum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some nice people have encouraged me to repost my points,
so i will try to rephrase: :)

Originally posted by Bruno Putzeys:

If the output filter is in the loop, the load impedance also becomes a factor in this. At a certain load impedance (guess which value), the UcD modulator is astoundingly linear up to nearly full signal swing. At higher and lower impedances, odd order effects show up, with positive sign for lower impedances and negative sign for higher impedances. You can't do much more optimum than to minimize the effect near rated impedance.

Every amplifier that puts the output filter in the loop has this problem, quite regardless of whether they use a fixed carrier or not. Trying to find a simple trick to alleviate the effects of "ripple aliasing" (for lack of a better term) in amplifiers employing feedback around the output filter is a local hobby in Rotselaar, as much as it is in Copenhagen.

I agree with Bruno on these points of course.

The question is: why would you want to have the output filter inside the control loop? Thus adding a complex uncertainty (the load).

Hi Chris

I can agree with that.

But everytime a solution to something is introduced, it should be evaluated if the solution causes a cost on something else. And if so, is the cost higher than the benefit? (Normal cost/benefit analysis).

Otherwise it's like driving to your neighbor city to buy cheap gas for your car. It is undispuatbly true that you save 50c per gallon, and a total of 8 $. But you overlooked that you spent 10 $ driving there to get it. :D Mostly the latter part is overlooked by women though ;)

In this case it can be determined that almost all loudspeakers are self linearizing because of the voice coil inductance is higher than the choke of the Class D amplifier. Look here for an example:

http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=58

This tweeter from Scanspeak has 80 uH voice coil inductance, much higher than any modern Class D amplifier filter. And so the resonse is ruler linear, even if you don't use post filter compensation.

So you are solving a problem, that is in almost any case not important, but at a cost. The cost is a complex load component in the control loop. The question now is: is it an overall benefit? :)

I am not saying one or the other type is b**ls**t.
In some few cases the compensation of post filter feedback can be a benefit.

What i am proposing is why not make pre or post filtering switchable, so the user can switch back and forth as he pleases,
to find the sound of preference? It's definitely possible on almost any Class D system.

sovadk said:
Nice simulation there analogspiceman. Is the AIM attachment from post #72 up to date (it's called aim1.zip)?

Yes, but be sure to read and make the changes mentioned in post #92.

By the way, here is the LTspice shematic that goes along with the frequency stabilized hysteresis plot from post #99.

Regards -- analogspiceman

Attachments

• constfreqhys1.gif
    constfreqhys1.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 522
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Lars?

I'm sorry, but I simply don't subscribe to your claims at all. Every class-D amplifier, but for UcD, that I have measured exhibits a change in the frequency response due to a loudspeaker being attached. This is purely due to the reactive load that a typical loudspeaker represents which is not compensated for by the amplifier.

I'm not just talking about minor, tenths of a dB, variations, but pretty extreme variations up to +/6dB, and usually worse at higher frequencies. UcD is the only topology that does not exhibit this behaviour and as a result has the same tonal character and balance with every loudspeaker I attach it to.

To me this is as close to the proverbial 'piece of wire with gain' one can get at the moment. As effectively the load invariant character of the UcD concept takes the amplifier out of the equation. There's no, or by comparision several magnitudes less, interaction between the (complex and often highly reactive) load the loudspeaker represents and the amplifier.

If you think, and your post expresses this, that a load variant character is an asset for an amplifier to have I suggest you rethink what we're trying to achieve here. Ideally we'd like every component in the chain from the recording to the soundwaves that finally reach the ear to have as little influence on the reproduction. Only then we can properly reproduce the recording how the artist orginally intended it. This obviously includes anything from error correction in the CD-player to room-gain.

An amplifier however is a big factor in this equation as it provides the highest amount of gain and thus its contribution to the sum of the parts is not insignificant. Therefore an amplifier should have very low THD and a flat FR curve (vitually) independent of frequency and load. Currently the only class-D topology that comes close to meeting this goal is UcD. And you still think pre-filter feedback is the way to go?

The moment you show me a class-D amplifier that uses pre-filter feedback that's able to match or surpass UcD's load invariant behaviour I'm willing to explore this further, up untill now however all attempts to design one (which I know of) have failed.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Of course i don't think that:

a load variant character is an asset for an amplifier to have.

;)
But you might say that i think the load variant character is of minor importance, and too expensive (in terms of sound quality) to get rid of.

After all you are placing the...

reactive load that a typical loudspeaker represents

... in the middle of the amplifier, instead (as i propose) on the output. The reactive load is in other words a (rather unpredictable) component in the amplifier's control loop. I don't think this can contribute to anything good.
But of course this is only my personal opinion.

Your website suggests you have someting to do with testing, measurement etc. Let me suggest you a test, ok?

Take your PC soundcard, and add a couple of resistors in the input to dampen the signal. Then connect the input of your soundcard to the output of your UcD modules, and
the output of the soundcard to the input of the UcD modules.
(or any other Class D module for that matter).
Make a frequency / THD sweep with loudspeakers connected as a load. (Not a resistor). Just sweep at say 1-2W or so.
(Can download free software here: www.ymec.com )

Then i think you will see, that post filter feedback will in fact not solve your reactive load problems, like you think.
But don't take my word for it, try it out yourself :)

Every class-D amplifier, but for UcD, that I have measured exhibits a change in the frequency response due to a loudspeaker being attached.

May i ask which Class D amplifiers you are referring to, i want to replicate your findings. :)

All the best

Lars

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Lars,

I don't just think this is the case, I know so, as this is what I've been investigating over the past two months or so. I have already posted such measurements in the past, hence the reason I'm replying, here's a few examples of what I'm refering to.

hyst. osc. 8-ohm loudspeaker

11725.gif

sodfa 8-ohm loudspeaker

11721.gif

UcD 8-ohm loudspeaker

11723.gif

I think this properly illustrates what I'm trying to get across. As you rightfully pointed out these measurements can be duplicated by anyone with the right software (for example the freeware RightMark Audio Analyzer) and a PC equipped with a decent soundcard.

As you can see both the hyst. self. osc. and the sodfa topology that use pre-filter feedback see a rise in their FR at higher frequencies due to the reactive character of the attached loudspeaker. It is a simple two-way configuration, with no impedance correction network on the woofer or tweeter and hence has a rising impedance curve and due to the passive crossover a reactive component as well which is not compensated for.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Hi Sander

Thank You for posting these examples. Very illustrative!

The green curve is the no-load situation and the white curve is with the speaker connected?

Here are my own findings. First the no-load condition. My soundcard is the one on a Dell laptop, so it's not perfect in the top
region, but will do anyway.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And here with a 8 Ohm speaker load.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As can be seen there is a rolloff of around 1 dB at 20 kHz, caused by the load. As i see it not critical.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Lars,

With the risk of insulting you and yourr hard work, but that's far from a flat curve, even with no load connected. Especially the 'wobble' at the end of the frequency curve strikes me as problematic. The UcD180 or 400 for that matter have an almost exemplary flat curve, as do a number of UcD prototypes I've recently built.

Just realize that I've been trying my hand at a class-D design of my own over the past two months (with no commercial interest I might add) and I have learnt a great deal by often trying the hands-on path rather than the pure theoretical evaluation of different concepts. I ended up deciding to go with UcD for a class-D amplifier of my own design exactly due to this load invariant behaviour, and believe me I'd done the ugly tests as well, by putting a 10uF capacitor in parallel with the output for example.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Ohh yes :D I shouldn't have used the laptop soundcard. Here you see the curve of the laptop only. (No Class D amps connected!)

So that's where the wobbling is coming from.

Anyway you win the argument that pre filter feedback may give deviations of maybe 0-1 dB (as shown in both yours and my measurements. However i dont think +/- 1dB is a significant problem. Loudspeakers can deviate much more, and anyway the ear will automaticly compensate a few dB without you noticing it.

Interesting discussion.....

Hereby a measurment of the ZAPpuls and an UcD400 with a load of 1 ohm.... ;)

Hereby you can see how good the post-feedback can keep control of the frequency response. This is of course intersting if you have those famous low impedance loudspeakers.

Jan-Peter

Attachments

• ucd400-zappulse-1-ohm.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 246
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Lars, Jan-Peter,

Thanks for sharing. From my experience it is not uncommon for the 'wobble' in Lars' plot to be shifted to the left of the curve, depending on the 'reactiveness' of the loudspeaker connected. This effectively puts it in the midrange and hence it is very audible giving the amplifier a tonal character and balance that is specific to that combination of loudspeaker and amplifier.

I know Lars stated that that wobble is due to his soundcard, and I have no reason to doubt that, yet I've seen similar behaviour from pre-filter feedback class-D amplifiers that display such behaviour with reactive loads, so I wasn't surprised to see it shown up in the plot.

As for the plot Jan-Peter showed, that's pretty dramatic and exactly what I was referring to. Unfortunately in the real world loudspeakers are not a simple resistive 4-ohm or 8-ohm load I'm afraid, and no two loudspeakers are the same, hence having a load invariant behaviour (whether implemented pre- or postfilter) is something I'd put high up on my list of design goals for any amplifier.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.