Is the SAA7220P/B really that bad ?

Hello

The CD650 CD-player, who use a SAA7220 and a TDA1541, did use a 3k9 pull-up resistor BCK to +5V

Seem interesting, anybody try a pull-up resistor like this one ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

• SAA7220PullUpResistor.gif
    SAA7220PullUpResistor.gif
    35 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Hope you get an answer, looking for the right way to feed from a flipflop w or w/o the R in the line, so a can it be fed by a 5V clock directly or may I keep the RC wich is between the SAA7220 fed...
I still have that in mind:
... the 7220 swings 5v pk-pk on its outputs, and the 1541 only needs a tiny current centred c1.4v to switch - it's a current-routing logic; the excess voltage swing just pushes HF currents into the dac.

From memory its not that high, I seem to recall from my study 0x20. But it depends on the suffix letter of the SAA7220, I think I tested the B suffix.
Oh, That's awesome. Thanks for your memory.
I thought it must be one of the unknown reasons for its sound characteristics. Because It decreases the chance of Zero-Cross distortion. :magnify:

Found some diagrams on the Chinese forum:
SAA7372.jpg

SAA7372 at 16.9MHz: but I thought, pin25 WCKO of PMD100 can be connected directly to LE of the TDA1541A...?

SAA7310.jpg

This is for the I2S output of the SAA7310: but shouldn't pin14 be tied HIGH...?

SM5813.jpg

Glue logic for SM5813: again WCKO could directly be connected to LE, but the forum member wanted to match the timing requirements of the TDA...

Links to original forum posts: here and here and here.

Last edited: