Is the NE5532N Dual Opamp any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NJM2114 and OPA176

There must be a single equivalent to this op amp as well.
I went through a huge variety of dual op amps on my QED digit a few years ago. I did decouple over the psu pins and put a socket in. In the end all op amps sounded different but most had a drawback in this application. Flabby bass on some AD types, coarse mid on the OP275 etc. I am not saying the others are inferior op amps, they just did not work in the application, maybe a matter of voicing.
I then got a NJM2114, one of the "upgrades" used by Marantz in the CD50SE and 52SE. I read somewhere it is a closer tolerance version of a NE5532. It was sweeter and cleaner and I did not hear anything I did not like. A safe drop in thus in my opinion.

A wonderfull drop in replacement for the 5534 is the OPA176 by Precicion Monolithics, long part of Analog Devices. PMI actually designed this chip to be a direct, no mods necessary higher performance device for 5534 applications. Only a single version seems to exist. I have tried this in a few CD players and it is an immedite improvement in high frequency extension and clarity.
Neither of these op amps may be the most dramatic in differnce over 5532/4 but it is a gentle improvement that seems to add no nasties.

Regards
Guillaume

jean-paul said:
Slowly the idea has risen that designers of normal / lowcost cdplayers just see an opamp as a cheap ( NE5532 ) of-the-shelf component that should do what it is supposed to do without really looking at their specs.

I rarely see 5532's in any (recent) commercial products -- they are definatly not the cheapest op-amp's out there and avoided by many manufacturers because of this. Most cheap gear I've dismantled use 4558 or 4580 and some of the middle of the road stuff use tl072's (still!).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Randy, what cheaper-than-1US$ opamps for audio are there out there ? ( except for NJM garbage that is ).
To me NJM4580 and NJM2114 are the only ones acceptable "below" the 5532. It is questionable if the NJM2114 is worse than NE5532. Some might say it is better, I am one of them :D

jean-paul said:
Randy, what cheaper-than-1US$ opamps for audio are there out there

'072 is well under a buck -- although it probably doesn't make your list of acceptable choices =).

I might not have "golden ears" but I can't tell much of a diff. between TL072's and NE5532's in my projects. I've actually had more trouble with 5532's because of their relatively large power consumption causing excess heat (and occasional rail latching / oscillation) so I eventually stuck with the '072 for the best performance/price ratio.

I wonder what kind of "fundamental error" is it?
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Cheers
Hartono Tandjoeng

jean-paul said:
No, it was about a fundamental error that was supposed to be built in the cd system. A cheap modification was invented that cured this error. I recall that was said that all cdplayers had this flaw. On pictures a modified cdplayer was shown and the inventor of this mysterious invention. It was in most dutch audiomagazines and most of em were sceptical too. The guy's name was Didden I am almost sure.
Technical details were not described and the story was that the guy received a lot of money to keep his mouth shut. Most audiophiles did not believe a word of it at that time.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Re: Rail latchup

jackinnj said:
hmmm, sounds like a compensation problem, or an op amp in need of a compensation solution.

probably so -- i did everything one normally would during the design process i.e. bypass caps, feedback bypass, ect... the problem is more likely a board issue than anything in particular with the 5532. i started noticing this occasional instability (usually immediatly after powering up.)when i boosted the supply to +/- 18v, as well as extreme temperatures of all the chips. swapping everything out for 072's solved all these problems -- it was much easier than adding more and more compensation =)

the ne5532 is a great amp, but when used in mass quantities you get LOTS of heat -- and without plentiful bypassing and a large power supply you better think twice =)

Re: Compromises.......

You'd all be surprised how much pro live and recording gear is full of 4580, 4558, and TL072, and nary a 553* in sight.
5532, 5534 do not get a look in because of cost and power consumption Eric.
[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why pro gear should be avoided in hi fi audio

jean-paul said:
No sockets for me anymore. Only for testing. When the choice is made I remove them and solder the best part for the purpose directly on the board.
This is also what I should do.
Use a good quality socket, there are bad and very good ones.
Even a very good one doesn't cost so much.

Test and evaluate with socket in place.
When you have made your "best" choice
remove socket and solder OPamp in place.

Or if you use very high quality socket
I would leave it in place - New OP amplifiers
will always come around, in all prices and techniques.

Imaginination is a good thing,
but to try to convince me
that I can hear a difference
would be a very difficult task, I assure you.

/halojoy - the half deaf man
- compared to cats.

"Fundamental Error"

jean-paul said:

BTW Jan Didden, are you the Jan Didden that was in the dutch newspapers about 6-8 years ago with an invention that was supposed to cure a flaw in the electronics of all cdplayers ? Just wondered because at that time a lot of speculation was going on and I was told Philips wanted to prevent the outcome of those experiments to become public. Never heard or read anything about this later. Still have some of the articles in my drawer somewhere.
Hi Jean-Paul,
Maybe you mean <B>Norbert Veel</B> from Leiden.
Norbert made quite a stir with his invention.
He claimed that <B><I>"Something of vital importance has been overlooked"</B></I> And his correction module can repair these shortcomings <B><I>"so that music sounds again as it should be, a Hologram of sound"</B></I> Back in time I had a long and very friendly phoneconversation with Norbert. I was eager to get a clue about his invention and was willing to buy the add-on device he was promoting. Unfortunately the device was not available for sale. Norbert only claimed his CD's were produced using the device/invention. It is called NVG-PróCéDé. I immediately ordered the CD with Spanish solo guitar music played by Guy de Medano and I must admit this CD does not have the glare and harsh sound much CD's have. It is also performed very well.
Quite recently I came into contact with a friend working at Philips and he sent me a bunch of papers about Norbert Veel. Yes Norbert offered his invention to Philips but could not convince the engineers. All the years I have been thinking Norberts idea was a kind of low jitter clock likes mines,[my clock does have the said effect] but after reading the papers I discovered it is a kind of voodoo: Norbert advices to place Tourmaline crystals between the loudspeakers binding posts, on DA-converters and things like that :bigeyes:
Or Norbert still has his correction module and is putting up a huge smoke curtain,:hypno2: :hypno2: :hypno2: :hypno2: :confused:

BJT vs FET inputs

I just want to remind that FET-inputs OPamps like the OPA2134 should have EQUAL impedances at their inputs at non-inverting applications, otherwise produce 2-nd harmonics! Therefore, for instance, FET's can not be used after a Volume POT with Resistance of about 50-100kohms. Noise is not everithing!
10-x
I actually like the OPA134 series a lot, but dont't think they should be used everywhere. I've read about a design of sine oscillator with THD of under 0.0001%, using a NE5534 /selected!!/ at its output, loaded w. under 1kohm

Re: BJT vs FET inputs

machinow said:
I just want to remind that FET-inputs OPamps like the OPA2134 should have EQUAL impedances at their inputs at non-inverting applications, otherwise produce 2-nd harmonics! Therefore, for instance, FET's can not be used after a Volume POT with Resistance of about 50-100kohms. Noise is not everithing!

Has anyone got any more facts about this distortion with high signal source impedances? I have read about but I didn't get how much distortion you got.

Re: Re: BJT vs FET inputs

BB says up to 2 kohms for OPA134 series, this means about 0.001% at 20kHz maybe??? THis distortions are 2-nd harmonic and increase with frequency and Common-Mode voltage! Cause the varying capacitance /G-S/ of the input FETS. If you want to solve this you may try to use inverting circuits /the usual I-V conv. / These distortion do not present there!
Some russian literature gave an example of 0.05% THD w. 100kohms and 20kHz, for the 134 I think I've met an example of 7kohms, 3Vrms, 20kHz - about 0.003% NOT sure!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.