Is the CS8420 really that bad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just picked this thread up in the mail.

The muffled mode issue gets fixed by a reset and it should be quite easy to create a reset on every new signal lock.
The muffled issue only happens when switching between different sources.
I know, having lived with it for many years now.

Hi John,

I am an audio DIY - er in HK and I bought 3 CS8420 for SRC issue. I made one PCB and I can't make it works. My hoping is SPDIF in and then SRC ( 44.1kHz to 96kHz ) then SPDIF out

May I have your email address and let me send my schematics to you.

I hope your professional can help me to fix this .
I am very appreciated if you can help me

my email address : leohung@hotmail.com

Best regards,
Leo Hung

Muffled mode

Hi A8

Cirrus give a fix for muffled mode when the device is operated in software mode. This does work, although it's really a clumsy bodge.

We've also discovered that repeated polling of the I2C port can once in a while yield reads (or status etc) that are rubbish.

In hardware mode one often has the restriction that the RESET is shared with all manner of other stuff and asserting this is sometimes too disruptive to the equipment as a whole. Not elegant unless you have no choice.

Rather blow away the big black cloud and don't use the CS8420 in any new designs. Nowadays I tend to use firmware AES receivers and SRCs in an FPGA, but obviously this approach is only appropriate if you need an FPGA anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.