Is silver wire any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have absolutely no idea what is the role of impurities but very high grade pure silver sounds very clear, transparent and extended in the high end with very little perceived power in the lower registers. I wish i knew what kind of geometry, gauge, mechanical construction can result a pure silver cable with powerful and deep bass. Does such a beast exist?

cheers

peter

Disclaimer: all threads concerning illogical assumptions, such as an extra nine in the purity of silver or gold greatly enhancing sound, are doomed.

Disclaimers aside, if cables are such a dammed hot topic, why not do away with the horrid beasts altogether and put the amp right at the speaker? Heck, build the amp INSIDE the speaker..yep, build the speaker frame out of aluminum for heatsinking ability.. even has its own forced-air supply if it's a woofer... Coaxial mounting would provide for short wire runs to the mid and tweeter.

Me, I don't see WTF is so damned hyped about silver. COME ON, IT IS BARELY MORE CONDUCTIVE THAN COPPER. Face it, it's only benifeit to sound is the placebo effect of the hugemongous price tag such wires carry. Time and time again, many such devices have failed in blinds testing.

-Oh, uh, </rant>. :rolleyes:

Tim

Hi!

ICENINE said:
What? Dude, electrons don't *make* tunnels in metal. The paths that electrons in a conductor move through are already present. In a conductor, there are empty molecular orbital levels that are very close in energy level to the lower full ones. When a potential difference is applied across a metal, electrons in lower orbitals are excited into the conduction bands where they are free to move. This also explains why metals are such good conductors of heat. When electrons at one end of a strip of metal are heated, the sea of electrons can easily transmit the thermal energy to the other end.

No burning in period is required. A piece of silver is a piece of silver. Running current won't change it in any way unless you plan to REALLY burn it in, and melt it or or cause an oxide layer to form on the outside, neither of which is a good thing.

Hint: irony.../HINT :)

ICENINE said:
What? Dude, electrons don't *make* tunnels in metal. The paths that electrons in a conductor move through are already present.

Yeah? Y'ever hear of quantum tunneling? :tongue:

In a conductor, there are empty molecular orbital levels that are very close in energy level to the lower full ones. When a potential difference is applied across a metal, electrons in lower orbitals are excited into the conduction bands where they are free to move. This also explains why metals are such good conductors of heat. When electrons at one end of a strip of metal are heated, the sea of electrons can easily transmit the thermal energy to the other end.

Actually that's not quite true.

That works within the Drude model, but the Drude model is somewhat at odds with the QM model.

As per Pauli, no two electrons in a solid of the same spin can share the same energy level. Typical thermal and electrical processes in conductors don't add but a tiny fraction of an electron volt (eV) and since the Fermi level in typical conductors is quite high, only those electrons within a tiny fraction of an eV of the Fermi level can participate in those processes.

There aren't enough electrons participating in thermal conduction in the QM model to account for the observed thermal effects in conductors. It seems that lattice vibrations are largely responsible for thermal conductivity in metals rather than electrons.

se

mercury

give it a try with mercury filled silicon tubes acting as a conductor.
Since the conductor isn't solid, no discussions any more about how we have to wind the different strads into a wire.
It's a bit poisinous, but what the heck, so are most of the elco's, synthetic compound of them loudspeaker enclosures, glues used for loudspeakers, etc.

BTW: no more permanent tunnels for them electrons, it's a bit like a mud catch fight for them. They will lose quiet a bit of their energy between amp and speaker.... maybe a solution if you have kind of aggressif sounding system.

:dodgy:

Me, I don't see WTF is so damned hyped about silver. COME ON, IT IS BARELY MORE CONDUCTIVE THAN COPPER. Face it, it's only benifeit to sound is the placebo effect of the hugemongous price tag such wires carry. Time and time again, many such devices have failed in blinds testing.

I really feel sorry for you. A hearing impediment is the worst that can happen to a budding audiophile. On the bright side think of all the money you'll save.

ICENINE said:
What? Dude, electrons don't *make* tunnels in metal. The paths that electrons in a conductor move through are already present. In a conductor, there are empty molecular orbital levels that are very close in energy level to the lower full ones. When a potential difference is applied across a metal, electrons in lower orbitals are excited into the conduction bands where they are free to move. This also explains why metals are such good conductors of heat. When electrons at one end of a strip of metal are heated, the sea of electrons can easily transmit the thermal energy to the other end.

No burning in period is required. A piece of silver is a piece of silver. Running current won't change it in any way unless you plan to REALLY burn it in, and melt it or or cause an oxide layer to form on the outside, neither of which is a good thing.

Not that I know that much about metals but if a crystalline copper conductor has surfaces between the crystals which may oxidize ,or whatever, would that not mean that they could need burn in? Seems perfectly likely to me. If you can hear the difference is another issue.

jwb said:
Here is my challenge to all people who claim a wire can be directional. I'll take your wire, remove all markings and give it back to you. I make an identifying mark in one end of the cable. You must, through listening, measuring, metallurgy, x-ray crystallography, or by any means, correctly identify the direction of the cable more than 50% of the time.

So far I've pulled this stunt on two of my friends, and neither of them could do it. And I'm not the sort of person who thinks cables make no difference: both of these guys can reliably differentiate between reputable speaker cable and lamp cord.

I usually post:

http://www.jenving.se/direct.htm

They seem to be able to measure it easily. I have absolutely no problem accepting that a cable can be directional but rather expect it to be in a purely technical sense. Again, if you can hear the difference is another issue.

UrSv said:
I usually post:
They seem to be able to measure it easily.
I wonder if they would be able to measure it so easily if they *didn't * sell it? :rolleyes:

They go on to say: "a US high-end enthusiast / researcher,
Doug Blackburn, suggests it is possible that when audiophiles say they hear sonic changes after changing polarity (by swapping conductors at one point - not by swapping ends as with conventional directionality*) that they’ve actually heard directionality instead".

Oh, spare me, please. :rolleyes: Has it never occurred to them that the signal is an *alternating* voltage therefore it changes it's polarity many times a second???? So are we to presume that untreated copper cables are nice to one half cycle but totally horrid to the other polarity half cycle? How can swapping the polarity of two wires have any effect on a voltage that changes polarity all by itself anyway?

Even if there was a perfect :goodbad: wire to be had, the whole thing would be dominated by the long length of copper wire in the crossover coils and the copper :dead: voice coil of the speaker, or maybe - horror of horrors - an aluminium :bigeyes: voice coil. :bawling:

If the dc resistance of the predominantly *copper* of the voice coil and crossover choke is 7 ohms or so, for a normal speaker cable run of 3 to 5 metres, no matter how good the cable is, a conductor diameter of more than 5mm is going to do squat.

If the dc resistance of the predominantly *copper* of the voice coil and crossover choke is 7 ohms or so, for a normal speaker cable run of 3 to 5 metres, no matter how good the cable is, a conductor diameter of more than 5mm is going to do squat.

Hi Graham,
Sure, but DC resistance is not the only arbiter.
Shunt capacitance and series inductance are the other two.
Throw this in with load dependant amplifier and reactive loudspeaker.
In my experience differing conductor materials can impart different characters in sonics that do not correlate with differences or similarities in dielectrics, construction or standard measureable characteristics.

Eric.

WELL said! I must warn you , however, that you should soon expect someone to berate your sense of hearing and then express their sorrow for your plight. Personally, within the quagmire of disparate materials, arranged non-directional as they are, when someone says they can readily hear a difference in the directionality of a few inches of silver wire, I smell something fishy. I am now waiting for an expression of sorrow and pity over my impared sense of smell!

I put on my special voodoo costum just to write in this thread ;) .

How can it be possible that an atom with electrons that are being at every place at every moment in time is going to have directional preferences -> perhaps some electrons have a preference going backward (perhaps the free one in the n-edge ?)

Perhaps it's like milk that there as a left and right stirring (eg better) atom/molecule

Ralph

buglehead said:
WELL said! I must warn you , however, that you should soon expect someone to berate your sense of hearing and then express their sorrow for your plight. Personally, within the quagmire of disparate materials, arranged non-directional as they are, when someone says they can readily hear a difference in the directionality of a few inches of silver wire, I smell something fishy. I am now waiting for an expression of sorrow and pity over my impared sense of smell!

Not at all. It is a known fact that we all hear differently. We all suffer different levels of frequency dependant loss over our life span, so why shouldn't our hearing be different. I never see this discussed when double blind testing is mentioned. I can't hear above 15.5k. I realize those higher freq. affect the ones I can hear but not like they would if I could hear them. So maybe you really can hear something I can't or vica-versa

:scratch: .

Steve Eddy said:

As per Pauli, no two electrons in a solid of the same spin can share the same energy level. Typical thermal and electrical processes in conductors don't add but a tiny fraction of an electron volt (eV) and since the Fermi level in typical conductors is quite high, only those electrons within a tiny fraction of an eV of the Fermi level can participate in those processes.

There aren't enough electrons participating in thermal conduction in the QM model to account for the observed thermal effects in conductors. It seems that lattice vibrations are largely responsible for thermal conductivity in metals rather than electrons.

se

Wow that is all very interesting. Could you explain more(or point me to a web resource) how it is then that conductors conduct electricity if excited electrons don't contribute significantly? I hadn't thought of the exclusion principle....

UrSv said:
I usually post:

They seem to be able to measure it easily. I have absolutely no problem accepting that a cable can be directional but rather expect it to be in a purely technical sense. Again, if you can hear the difference is another issue.

They're just citing a "test" that Ben Duncan did for Hi-Fi News a while back. The test results are ambiguous as the difference due to flipping the cable around could be explained by nothing more exotic than a difference in contact resistance.

The problem with people like Duncan and others is that they're more interested in proving some pet theory than actually getting at the truth. So if they happen to come up with something which might support their pet theory, they're very lax at considering alternate explanations for the results of their tests.

Duncan was taken to task on this account for another "test" of his in which he seemed to have measured a change in phase with a change in current. It was shown that this result could also have been achieved by not accounting for the change in the load resistance he was using.

Duncan's work has just been too sloppy to take at anything more than face value.

se

ICENINE said:
Wow that is all very interesting. Could you explain more(or point me to a web resource) how it is then that conductors conduct electricity if excited electrons don't contribute significantly? I hadn't thought of the exclusion principle....

Well excited electrons contribute to all current flow. Just that there aren't as many participating as the Drude model assumes. The only thing this really effects is drift velocity. Instead of having a lot of electrons with slow drift velocity, you have fewer electrons with a higher drift velocity.

It all comes out the same in the end.

se

Steve Eddy said:

They're just citing a "test" that Ben Duncan did for Hi-Fi News a while back. The test results are ambiguous as the difference due to flipping the cable around could be explained by nothing more exotic than a difference in contact resistance.

The problem with people like Duncan and others is that they're more interested in proving some pet theory than actually getting at the truth. So if they happen to come up with something which might support their pet theory, they're very lax at considering alternate explanations for the results of their tests.

Duncan was taken to task on this account for another "test" of his in which he seemed to have measured a change in phase with a change in current. It was shown that this result could also have been achieved by not accounting for the change in the load resistance he was using.

Duncan's work has just been too sloppy to take at anything more than face value.

se

It may very well be a load of whatsit but it is the only place I know of that claim to be able to measure it rather than just hear it. I did not claim that it was 100 % accurate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.