Is PTFE/Teflon harmful?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, the heat was on low. And the omelets were delicious. Harrumph, harrumph.

Among cooks, Teflon pans are notorious for being useless for high heat commercial cooking. Long before you hit the polymer degradation temperature, the Teflon delaminates. You have to REALLY pound it to get any fumes out of it. That's why, despite the huge number of Teflon pans out there, the number of deaths attributed to fluorocarbon poisoning remains at near zero.

That doesn't stop the scare mongers.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I whisk with a fork for about ten seconds, and that works for me. I also hate the tendancy some people have to cook them for far too long, and as for adding anything but salt and pepper....

:edit: just to get back on topic, I don't own a teflon frying pan, I just use an old aluminium one that has never been washed, a wipe over with a paper towel, and maybe a little salt to get rid of stubborn stains. I have never had an omelette stick.

Piperade is just a pale version of fritatta. But nonetheless enjoyable, especially for bell pepper fans like me. Picpoul is a reasonable wine match, as is a nice fino sherry.

Proper eggs should be done in a seasoned, heavy pan. Teflon is something of a cheat, but if truth be told, it's what I use when doing eggs on an assembly-line basis (e.g., breakfast for 10+).

Ah, Food Fight !

Me proud and joy, the combi-steamer, great for assembly-line red bell pepper. Grilled red pepper is so very addictive.

Attachments

• kitsch2.jpg
    kitsch2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 323
I'm sure you guys have been to an Asian restaurant... maybe a cheap one for lunch... and you see these guys lift the wok for a moment. Dante's inferno... they should be casting aluminum, I wish I had that kind of power.

Wok recipes don't scale up well. The American style of temperature-time-product cooking goes out the window. The sheer Joules required to cook some wok dishes right is staggering!

It may be hydrogen... I will have one of these someday... or less people to cook for.

:D

Pure copper is the best (tinned on the inside). I bought my French cookware half price on eBay, but now I know I'd gladly pay twice the retail. The thermal transfer is way better than aluminum (not to mention cast iron), fast reaction to change in stove flame with no hot spots. And at 2.5 mm thick, the weight makes them a great weapon. The multicolored copper oxides that form on the outside make the things great decorations as well. The tin really doesn't stick, and though it wears off in say a decade, I got a retinning shop nearby.

Nixie said:
Pure copper is the best (tinned on the inside).
I've never tried that, but it definitely makes sense. Like I said, I have always been a cast iron fan, but if I ever see a good deal on some copper :)D yea right!) I'll be sure to pick some up.

We aren't talking about the cheap copper clad junk, are we? You are saying SOLID copper?? I can't imagine how much that must weigh. . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.