Is jitter an issue with usb signals ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not that i consider myself PCM29XX nor UCA202 as the last wonder of the world, this one is an old classic:

Behringer+UCA202+11025+hz+-6+dBFS+44.1+Khz+150+Ohms+Jitter+Spectrum+(ref+~400mV)+with+comments%5B2%5D.png

NwAvGuy: Behringer UCA202 Review

Boring audiophile talks...:D

Not that i consider myself PCM29XX nor UCA202 as the last wonder of the world, this one is an old classic:
Behringer+UCA202+11025+hz+-6+dBFS+44.1+Khz+150+Ohms+Jitter+Spectrum+(ref+~400mV)+with+comments%5B2%5D.png

NwAvGuy: Behringer UCA202 Review
Boring audiophile talks...:D

Hi ! sorry to jump in ... just to understand. :eek:
Is this a good performance ?
any other similar graph of top quality interfaces ?
I am trying to understand the price to pay to get the excellence :eek:
Thanks a lot, gino :D

Last edited:
Beware...If excellence matters for you, in the end you will pay the max... That's what premium stuff is all about. For me it's not really worth the paranoia...;)

Btw, the author above also tested the Benchmark DAC1 and yes for the paranoiacs it looks cleaner...

Benchmark%20DAC1%20Pre%2011025%20hz%20-6%20dBFS%20Jitter%20Spectrum%2015%20Ohms%20%28Ref%20400%20mV%29_thumb.png

Last edited:
Beware...If excellence matters for you, in the end you will pay the max... That's what premium stuff is all about.
For me it's not really worth the paranoia...;)
Btw, the author above also tested the Benchmark DAC1 and yes for the paranoiacs it looks cleaner...
Benchmark%20DAC1%20Pre%2011025%20hz%20-6%20dBFS%20Jitter%20Spectrum%2015%20Ohms%20%28Ref%20400%20mV%29_thumb.png

Hi ! thanks a lot indeed !
i have already printed and put on the wall ... these are the posters i like.
Seriously, when i see technical perfection i am sincerely amazed and lost in admiration.
It is important for me to be 100% sure that i am the problem, not the equipment. :)
I love test reports.
Thanks a lot again.
Have a nice day, gino

Things are much more complex than that when you want great results as an audiophile.

If you think USB was already perfect to begin with, then you don't need the aforementioned devices and you don't need additional information.

The biggest issue with the usual USB is the normal cable: it has an analogue signal, and therefore is subject to signal integrity issues. When the SI issues have to be dealt with to determine the bits, the USB receiver processing creates additional noise which affects the DAC (most of them)...

Look for our friend Gino's post over at computeraudiophile.com and/or read John Swenson if you really want to know more, or since this is diyaudio, do your own tests, as I do.

On the other hand, if you think you know everything there is to know about the audiophile subject, then don't bother.

Where's the analogue signal!!!!!!!!!

Beware also that objectivism tends to be biased by esthetical aspects of graphical presentation of data.
Though a different topic, it is also part of the audio paranoia...:crazy: ...

Hi ! this i do not understand ... :eek:
However, i discovered also an issue with the usb cable i was using.
The contact was a little loose. I swapped cable and the new one falls in place in the socket B type with a nice snap.
The sound is clearly better :eek: (i.e. less noisy).
I have to check the cables.
I have never liked usb plugs. I like plugs with locking mechanism like rj45.
The very good ones ... like these

714tGjWJXLL._SL1436_.jpg

I am quite sure that the usb plugs can create issues.
Stupid plugs ... only good for mice really.
I am sure the switch to Ethernet will be a huge revolution.
Thanks a lot, gino

Last edited:
You are searching for demons that are not really there Gino, I would relax and enjoy the music personally (that's what I do) .

Hi i am still convinced that the usb plugs are real ****.
Again, for low level applications maybe they are enough but not for pro applications.
The strange things is that especially high cost audiophile equipments use these stupid standards while professional equipment do not.
It is the same for RCA, HDMI ... the consumers must suffer.
Take the HDMI and compare it to DVI. There is no comparison.
DVI is so much better than HDMI and actually is used in the pro sector.
End of the outburst.
Have a nice day, gino

YashN said:
It seems you are ignorant about how USB cables transmit voltage levels with ramp up and ramp down times...
It seems you are ignorant about English humour and our need to prick holes in balloons.

Not inadequate, just not perfect as it was thought it was already once async was implemented.
Are you going to enlighten us?

OK, let's see YOU explain what travels in a USB cable since you haven't learned about it and are probably just making erroneous assumptions.
It would be nice if the self-appointed experts on here would start sharing their knowledge instead of merely insulting those they consider, rightly or wrongly, to be less well informed.

2. The protocol used while doing an normal file transfer isn't the same mechanism at all than when we use Async USB which is a real-time streaming one with no re-send
Are you going to enlighten us? Don't tell us it is different; tell us how it is different. Tell us how a PC (with poor interrupt structure, and poor priority structure) manages to get accurate timing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.