Is it wise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Floating input

Bert,
With a single ended input source like some of the old tube preamps the whole case could go to 1/2 the line voltage as they weren’t grounded. This was usually a fairly high source impedance but not always. Doing a single ended to balanced conversion with an adapter cable would connect this sources case to the amps ground through the 10 ohm resistor. It might cause enough I/R drop to blow the chip due to excessive common mode input voltage. This can't happen with a direct connection or if the diodes are used. Diodes are very cheap and would only take a couple of minutes to install. IMHO well worth the cost and effort.
Roger

Re: Floating input

sx881663 said:
Bert,
With a single ended input source like some of the old tube preamps the whole case could go to 1/2 the line voltage as they weren’t grounded. This was usually a fairly high source impedance but not always. Doing a single ended to balanced conversion with an adapter cable would connect this sources case to the amps ground through the 10 ohm resistor. It might cause enough I/R drop to blow the chip due to excessive common mode input voltage. This can't happen with a direct connection or if the diodes are used. Diodes are very cheap and would only take a couple of minutes to install. IMHO well worth the cost and effort.
Roger
Aah....now I understand. This is a non issue in my power amps/preamps because I never use mains ground in amps. This is to avoid ground loops. The ground only comes from the source....if its mains grounded. So I never have this problem...well I never had it anyway.

Ground potential?

Burt,
If you plug in all the various pieces and turn them on without any connections in between or any ground connections then measure the AC voltages between the various grounds I think you will be surprised. I think that most of it is generated because of the power transformers leakage inductance. That stored energy has to go somewhere. This voltage is greatly affected by the polarity of the AC power connection. Mark which way it is plugged in that generates less voltage and use them connected it this direction. As I stated the source impedance of this voltage is usually high. In your case high enough that the 10ohm res. is a low enough value to short it out. Still it would be interesting to do the above measurements and then do it again with a 10ohm res. shorting out the meter and see how much is left and see if it is worth doing anything about.
Roger

Very low voltages

Burt,
Was this done without the interconnects and the pieces just plugged in and turned on? If so very surprising and certainly no problem. If not it doesn't mean much as these low numbers are the limit of measuring ability and it would be a measurement of the quality of your connections anyway.
Roger

Re: Very low voltages

sx881663 said:
Burt,
Was this done without the interconnects and the pieces just plugged in and turned on? If so very surprising and certainly no problem. If not it doesn't mean much as these low numbers are the limit of measuring ability and it would be a measurement of the quality of your connections anyway.
Roger
Everything connected and on...music playing.
BTW computer is mains grounded.
My passive preamp switches the ground line of the inputs. So now the radio plays and this is the only one grounded to the preamp-poweramp.
The areal input is cable so this is grounded somewhere in the house.

input current problem

Would this circuit send out high frequency current out from the input terminals and disturb the signal source?

Maybe need a grounding capacitor at input?

Attachments

• ucd_balanced.gif
    ucd_balanced.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 144
Re: Re: Re: Very low voltages

Pasi P said:

Hi, Bert.
I currently build my DACT passive pre and will do same way. Do you have any connection "pops" when you connect you source? Do you switch line input and ground same time (with same relay or switch)?

no pops at all. yes, same time switching. Different relays for ground and line. See pictures on preamp. thread.

Re: Re: input current problem

Sorry, it is the ucd diagram from Hypex's.
The Hypex modules can run without problem, but does it have some built-in solution of the problem?

e.g. a small capacitor tied between input and GND, and a resistor series on the input terminals to isolate the preamp from capacitive load.
Bgt said:

This looks like the ucd diagramm. I have no problems with signals being injected in my preamp. See my input mod. cable thread.

phase_accurate said:

They have an op-amp buffer stage (i.e. a gain-stage to be correct)and some low-pass filtering in front of the actual UcD.

I appreciate Hypex' efforts for "keeping EMC problems on the module" (rather than leave them to the user to solve).

Regards

Charles

Still think if you use an unbalanced input, ground your inverting input at the input socket on the UCD pcb and not at the rear of your housing at the input plug. Especially with higher gain than standard the input tends to become capacitive sensitive when the - is treated balanced for an unbalanced system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.