• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is it Overkill to use Duelund Caps in Power Stage (Counterpoint SA-5.1)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is the schematic of SA-5.1, but I really can not say which part is high voltage regulator.

Second picture is the photo of that section. With some arrangement, I can fit some two 45mmD - 100mmL caps in there, but that's max. That Sprague caps are 25mmD - 65mmL, for comparison.

Attachments

• Counterpoint SA-5.1_Sema.JPG
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Sema.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_03.jpg
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_03.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 147
Hi, this is the schematic of SA-5.1, but I really can not say which part is high voltage regulator.

Second picture is the photo of that section. With some arrangement, I can fit some two 45mmD - 100mmL caps in there, but that's max. That Sprague caps are 25mmD - 65mmL, for comparison.
That half of the whole schematic . What that does show is that there is separate bias supply for the 12at7 this unusual and that supply will respond to cap up grades it will be low voltage and negative . Look foward to seeing the PSU schematic . Regards

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
use multiple small radials instead of big axial
mount them on a small print board
something like the Nichicon BT series
long life cap built especially for hot 'environment'

and btw, area around the red poly caps does not look 'healthy'
a mod job that went wrong maybe ?
maybe this amp is not in very good condition at all :confused:

Attachments

• Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_03.jpg
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_03.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi Tinitus,

Thank you for your suggestions and notice of the PCB. When I'm buying the pre I thought that it is a soldering left behind while changing that capacitor. I upload more clear pictures of those parts. I have the pre for one and half year now and I'm enjoying it. Yet I haven't *touched* and will not touch anything. AFAIK, I'm the third owner and the previous two sent the item two times to Mike Elliott, the designer and owner of the Counterpoint. Other from him (or his technician) no one touched the pre. Or let me say, he is the one who touched last.

But I can notice that, since I clearly and honestly indicated my skill and knowledge about modding, you thought that they were my own faults. No friend, I'm trying to choose some parts and I'll have a technician install them. Since you make notice, I'll have the soldering parts be cleaned to my technician.

Do you think that resistor must be changed to a new one?

Attachments

• Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_02.jpg
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_02.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_06.jpg
    Counterpoint SA-5.1_Firo_06.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
sorry, must have been shadow
from this angle it looks tip top

the other 'foul' area in the right picture appears to be just old solder from a removed cap
an no longer in use
no worries either
and I do think the previous 'judgement' on your supply cap's voltage rating were...a bit 'off'

well, my personal opinion is, if its good, its not likely to get any better

that said, Im by far no expert either, even if I would sound like one to you
so, don't listen too much to me either :clown:

so why not just trust mr Mike Elliot to know how to
or whoever he trust to do the work on his amps

Oh no no.. :) I already feel like stealing something or doing a sin at this forum.. :) Asking questions with my current knowledge level and knowing that I can only understand a quarter of it. This is like asking food from people and than only bite once and throw away the rest.

I already learned many things and I'm just fine sir.

sorry, must have been shadow
from this angle it looks tip top

the other 'foul' area in the right picture appears to be just old solder from a removed cap
an no longer in use
no worries either
and I do think the previous 'judgement' on your supply cap's voltage rating were...a bit 'off'

well, my personal opinion is, if its good, its not likely to get any better

that said, Im by far no expert either, even if I would sound like one to you
so, don't listen too much to me either :clown:

so why not just trust mr Mike Elliot to know how to
or whoever he trust to do the work on his amps

Thank you Tinitus. As I said at the other thread, I'm not trying to make it better, just more reliable since some parts are nearly at my age. :)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
so what
those old caps are not leaking or anything
they could still be as good as new, and best quality you will ever find

but those white poly caps...? .... Wonder Caps ?...man, just the name itself sounds like crap to me

me, I would just remove them, and forget the rest
but like I said, I'm just old and stupid
and anyone who want to say yes are free to do so :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.