is it Fake AB resistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

i buy a AB resistor from the store. the seller say it is NOS AB resistor. but i really don't know it is AB or not.

do any people help me check it and let me know how to check it
thank

Attachments

• img_5083.jpg
    img_5083.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 353
Hi,

Impossible to tell from the pic.

I used a LOT of those in my old TV tech days and a good way to tell is hook it up to a dc power suppy and run at the max ratings for 10 minutes. A real AB will not fracture or get noisier than a carbon comp already is. Wear eye protection, a bad resistor can go off like a grenade!

If the Ebay seller is a reputable fellow, they either are real AB's or were bought by him at a surplus auction in good faith that they were.

Cheers!

I think that receiving fakes in exchange for a lot of money is a very fair punishment for anybody expecting "better audio performance" from particular brands or series of resistors (or capacitors). The market is probably flooded of fakes with no end buyer noticing. There is a lesson to learn there.

BTW: In my experience, 0.25W and 0.5W resistors will handle the rated power (and more) without damage (but getting somewhat hot), no matter who made them.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
AB Resistors

KWM 488
There are 2 ways to know for sure if there Real AB
Resistors...
1st the older ones made in the USA are a distent color
shiney Brown and not dull, The newer ones made in Mexico
are harder to tell.

2nd the circular part of the leads on your axial when they
meet the resistor are inserted differently than the
Stackpole, IRC, Airco Speer, Cornell- Dublier, Mil Quality,
TRW and others....

Check the leads of your 10% 1/2W and look at the 4.7K
1 Watt I think the 1 Watts are AB but not sure about
your 1/2 Watts

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.