Is fairchild SS9014 a good LTP choice. ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi OS,

I bought a bunch of Toshiba 2SC1815 from Tayda:

2SC1815
Audio Frequency Voltage Amplifier Applications
Low Noise Amplifier Applications
High breakdown voltage, high current capability
VCEO = 50 V (min), IC = 150 mA (max)
Excellent linearity of hFE
hFE (2) = 100 (typ.) at VCE = 6 V, IC = 150 mA
hFE (IC = 0.1 mA)/hFE (IC = 2 mA) = 0.95 (typ.)
Low noise: NF = 0.2dB (typ.) (f = 1 kHz).
Complementary to 2SA1015

They look like good choice for low-noise input pairs, I may ask you to do a special VB layout for me to test out these transistors.

Cheers, Stanley
The 1815 looks like a winner , mouser even has them ... 2sc1815
yes , ECB ... a third version of the BX :eek: , you could also use the first cascoded version (bx1.3) with the C and B crossed , C with a short piece of 1mm HS tubing. :)
BX 1.2 is cascode-less and also uses ECB , with 50v or less rails, the 1815 would be perfect. (below)

OS

Attachments

• bx1.2.GIF
    bx1.2.GIF
    17 KB · Views: 265
Diminishing returns. Can the audible improvement (as small as that is likely to be) outweigh the cost? I don't think so...
I used the LM394 super matched pair in my first Patchwork - waste of money IMO.

I'm just being a picky "audiophool" , I'm now down to what I can see on the scope at 1uV. I passed the audible "point of silence" a while ago. :D Little things , like turnon "ticks" ... any abnormal noise as the rails collapse. I am just sweating the micro - issues now.

If I didn't go modular a while back (5$ a voltage stage) , I might of been satisfied before now.

OS

There is the BC550C too. This has all the desirable features you'd want in a diff pair.

SNG001 used the BC's on his BX with excellent results. I have the voltage stages to try them all , it all come down to a performance /cost/ sourcing /obsolescence decision. I'm also sure each "specimen" will perform optimally at a different tail current , another factor in choice (CCS adj.).
OS

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Input pair does not need a lot of gain (100 would do) ,the current mirror and VAS are where you develop most of your open loop gain.

I understood that the gain of the input devices only affects output offset and input impedance (the more gain, the better). Trim the overall gain with the emitter resistors.
Are you just looking for something different, to make your amps not look the same as everyone elses?? :D That only fools the rookies. ;)

THAT has a hefty price tag.

Yes, THAT is expensive. This is primarily why I am manipulating my circuit to use other devices, perhaps ALD1105 matched mosfets from Advanced Linear Devices. Much cheaper, and a better name if you want my opinion.:) I will use THAT as a fallback device if it I'm not sucessful.

THAT 3X0 series matched transistors are not monolithic. They are made from separate dies that are matched together and then mounted in a common package. This is an advantage I think, but to what degree in audio circuitry I am not sure.

There are 4 THAT 340 in this prototype circuit. In addition the output source balast resistors are these TO-126 power metal film resistors from Caddock at a price of $3.75 each.:eek: Top quality I must say but costly. Funny thing about this amp is that the total cost of all 4 output transistors is ~$4.50.:p

The Caddock resistors I plan to keep using, even at that rediculous cost. Is there any alterative out there with the same quality?

Attachments

• DSCF2395.jpg
    DSCF2395.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF2391.jpg
    DSCF2391.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCF2398.JPG
    DSCF2398.JPG
    581.3 KB · Views: 249
I understood that the gain of the input devices only affects output offset and input impedance (the more gain, the better). Trim the overall gain with the emitter resistors.
Are you just looking for something different, to make your amps not look the same as everyone elses?? :D That only fools the rookies. ;)

No , not that , I just realized what you stated. Using the MPSA18 made my matching more crucial ("hairy" :D). I Decided on the middle of the road SS9014 ("C group" -200+ Hfe). Cascoding the input pair gives "higher everything" (gain , impedance , BW) , leaving just the improved noise factor to consider. I have a 1k -25 turn trimmer for offset , but in the last dozen amps I stuffed , the offset was 2-3mv before adjustment needing just a quarter turn or less to zero. It is better to start out balanced than to alter the gain of one of the tails after the fact.

OS

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
No , not that , I just realized what you stated. Using the MPSA18 made my matching more crucial ("hairy" :D). I Decided on the middle of the road SS9014 ("C group" -200+ Hfe). Cascoding the input pair gives "higher everything" (gain , impedance , BW) , leaving just the improved noise factor to consider. I have a 1k -25 turn trimmer for offset , but in the last dozen amps I stuffed , the offset was 2-3mv before adjustment needing just a quarter turn or less to zero.

As you know, my version of the 'DIY amp that is the same as everyone elses but I call my own' has a cascoded front end. To be honest, in building my 6 channel, I didn't match the MPSA18's at all - too lazy at the time. I have no trimmer for offset either. I measured the offset (of course I can't remember what it was) and I'm sure it was low enough for me to accept it.

It is better to start out balanced than to alter the gain of one of the tails after the fact

I wasn't suggesting that the emitter resistors can be different values. I meant the overall gain of the diff pair can be reduced by increasing the emitter resistors. Better to have too much and throw it away than not enough.

my version of the 'DIY amp that is the same as everyone elses but I call my own'

I wasn't suggesting that the emitter resistors can be different values. I meant the overall gain of the diff pair can be reduced by increasing the emitter resistors. Better to have too much and throw it away than not enough.

BTW , are those amps still in business ??

I know about LTP degeneration. I was just stating that the CM / VAS degen . is a major factor as well. I have over 110DB LF loop gain with Re = 68 , plenty to "burn up" with NFB/TMC. Offset adj , actually does change beta of the diff. pair, countering that 1% tolerance of the tail resistors or the slight mismatch in device beta , or even slight errata coming from the cascode/CM ! (they should be a close match as well (not critical- but close). If you buy a 100 from the same production run you will find quite a few "close ones".( DMM hfe test.)
OS

The 1815 looks like a winner , mouser even has them ... 2sc1815
yes , ECB ... a third version of the BX :eek: , you could also use the first cascoded version (bx1.3) with the C and B crossed , C with a short piece of 1mm HS tubing. :)
BX 1.2 is cascode-less and also uses ECB , with 50v or less rails, the 1815 would be perfect. (below)

OS

Thanks OS,

I may build a BX1.2 VB to compare against the BX1.3. I noticed that you added C6+R16+R17 on the BX1.6. What is the purpose for these three components.

The 2SC1815 on Tayda are dirt cheap - 0.02 each, so I just bought some as general purpose SSTs: 2SC1815 C1815 TRANSISTOR NPN 50V 0.15A

They also have the 2SK117 for 0.22 each.

The minimum order is only $5.

Cheers, Stanley

Last edited:
Thanks OS,

I may build a BX1.2 VB to compare against the BX1.3. I noticed that you added C6+R16+R17 on the BX1.6. What is the purpose for these three components.

The 2SC1815 on Tayda are dirt cheap - 0.02 each, so I just bought some as general purpose SSTs: 2SC1815 C1815 TRANSISTOR NPN 50V 0.15A

They also have the 2SK117 for 0.22 each.

The minimum order is only $5.

Cheers, Stanley

"1.6" ??? you mean 1.3 ?? , that is for the cascode divider. with 70V rails , it gives 20v to the LTP to allow for FET's, mpsa18's , ss9014's. with your 40v rails the BC's would work without a cascode , with lower rails R16 at 18k , as suggested , would give 14-16V. The cascode at lower violtages has benefits as well , it isolates the LTP (better PSRR).The beta enhanced VAS has such a high impedance that that the cascode's higher impedance has little or no effect. My simulations show slightly reduced THD WITH a cascode. Many low Vgs Fet's can also be used with a cascode. A cascode IS NOT GOOD on a amp like the goldmund as it has a lower impedance VAS , loading is evident !

A tip.. just remove Q3/4 , jumper the E-C's on the 1.3. I MUST use the cascode for my 75V rails , no choice except for using less than desirable high Vce 1845's (120v).

By MJL - Totally unnecessary but it should be fun.
This adventure of mine is a little unnecessary as well , just for absolute OPS physical symmetry (attachment 1) , to get my BX formally cascoded , TMC'ed and with no jury rigging (as it is now). I will even use oak hardwood blocks with slots to slide and hold the voltage stage to the main current stage. I go fully split PS's this time (Vee2 /Vcc2).

To try out all these input devices / topologies would wear out any other amp on DIYA , so you were right .. I had to design it totally different .. not to impress but to actually DO IT.

OS

Attachments

• new amp.GIF
    new amp.GIF
    64 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
The beta enhanced VAS has such a high impedance that that the cascode's higher impedance has little or no effect.

A cascode IS NOT GOOD on a amp like the goldmund as it has a lower impedance VAS , loading is evident !

OS

Actually, the cascoded LTP has same output impedance
as its non cascoded sibling...
The difference is that output is better insulated from input.

Last edited:
2SC1815 from Tayda

Thanks OS,

Cheers, Stanley

Hi all,

I finally received my Christmas present from Tayda and it took about three weeks from the day I placed the order (I actually paid for the parts).

The 2SC1815 looks like Toshiba parts & most of the other parts look good to me. I ordered some lateral-MOSFET and they look like genniue Renesas parts.

Seasons greeting to you all.

Cheers, Stanley

Attachments

• DSC_3629.JPG
    DSC_3629.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 224
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.