• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is a 7 watt per channel amp enough

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yo' TubeHead... Let's just say "I haven't drunken the Kool-Aid" of velvet glove treatment of old amplifiers or electronics. Since I really can "fix anything" - and often engineer it to be better, whether it blows or not is almost immaterial. I've re-wound transformers (which IMHO is the ultimate 'self-fix-it-bytch'), and replaced many a tall can electrolytic. Caps go kerflooey all the time... and the old paper-and-bubble-gum ones can safely be replaced with any nice (and remarkably inexpensive) one, with great results. No. I've not been sipping on the Kool Aid. Plug 'er in, and see what she does.

To be safe, it is best to spend a week doing calculations and visiting the doctor for a hearing sensitivity test. Ask for a graph of your hearing response, and base your calculations on the graph.

Don't forget to take into account room size and listening distance. You must also take into account your sensitivity to clipping by setting up a blind test with ABX software. This will tell you how much clipping you could tolerate.

These calculations will give you an estimate of whether or not 7W will be enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.