• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

IS 6N6P A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR ECC88CC ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, it is not a direct replacement. The pinout is the same, but the 6N6P consumes more heater current and the power transformer may not be up to it. There is also a difference in gain between the two, and optimal working points etc etc.

Best would be to provide us with a schematic of the circuit, than we can say what you could do to adapt the circuit.

I guess this is why it sounded muddy when i put it for testing. I will try to make a diagram of the circuit my pre-amp uses & post it here. Thanks

No, it is not a direct replacement. The pinout is the same, but the 6N6P consumes more heater current and the power transformer may not be up to it. There is also a difference in gain between the two, and optimal working points etc etc.

Best would be to provide us with a schematic of the circuit, than we can say what you could do to adapt the circuit.

Finally i realized that it will need a lot of modification to put the Russian ones.
Better leave it this way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.