Is 400VA enough for an Aleph30?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dw8083 said:
What's the best way to determine the resistance of the capacitors for the simulation?

-David

it's in fact educated guess-sollely depends on your exact caps.
for starters-you can load sample designs from PSU installation folder (program files-duncan....-PSU... by default) and just scale to your values of capacitance.

in fact -I think that this is covered in help

I just finished my Aleph 30 with exact same transformers 22V 400VA made by Piltron. It works quite fine as is. Voltage is little bit below 31V with one channell, and 29V with two channels on one tansformer. I will be using two transformers, but just for testing purpose I first tested it with one trnnie only. So far works great and transformer doesn' worm up at all.
Sound is awsome!
I love these amps. My advice - build as with what you have and than see and measure.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Interesting . . .

I am late. Anyhow, I understand that Aleph 30 has bias current of 1.6A per channel, i.e. 3.2A for both channels. And, the peak voltages from the secondary side (ac 22v) of the transformer are +/-31V, i.e. peak to peak voltage of 62V. Therefore, the VA is calculated 3.2x62=198VA to cover both channels. I think that using 400VA is enough as long as the current capacity of total psu caps is as large as possible.

Regards
jH

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
12 x 22,000uF, wow ! ! !
I think them enough to cover both the ripple voltage and the whole current boosted by the active Aleph current source. Why don't you save another transformer for one more A30?

The original A30 seems to use one transformer and total 12 x 10,000uF. I don't think that its transformer size would be bigger than 400VA. No? Then, I would think that Passlab is wasting their profit . . . :D

Regards
jH

jh6you said:
Interesting . . .

I am late. Anyhow, I understand that Aleph 30 has bias current of 1.6A per channel, i.e. 3.2A for both channels. And, the peak voltages from the secondary side (ac 22v) of the transformer are +/-31V, i.e. peak to peak voltage of 62V. Therefore, the VA is calculated 3.2x62=198VA to cover both channels. I think that using 400VA is enough as long as the current capacity of total psu caps is as large as possible.

Regards
jH

Please remember that a large capacitance like the one needed will request huge current peaks that might saturate the core of the trafo it is not oversized enough, inducing mechanical vibrations and heat losses. I used a 500VA and I would suggest at least this as a "minimum" size for a stereo amplifier.

Andrea

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Andypairo said:

. . . a large capacitance like the one needed will request huge current peaks that might saturate the core of the trafo it is not oversized enough . . .

Well . . . the charge stored in each capacitor and the voltage between its terminals have a fixed ratio. The group of caps on + side and the other group of caps on - side would well co-operate, looking each other. Therefore, I would not worry about the core saturation with 400VA size.

Regards
jH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.