IRS2092 cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is the most challenging build I did, also the most precise I did. It is a very good amp. Logic solved the only problem I had. Cost, well you can make them as expensive as you like, but around $125 per channel gives good idea I think, make 10 and price per board could drop, (pick a couple 0.01% resistors that each cost more than complete chinese ampboard and price will rise obviously)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Isn't the $20 IRS2092 amp based on IRAUDAMP7? I think that means one just needs to swap out parts per table 5 of Ref Design? That would save quite a bit of work.

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp7d.pdf

But the reason I want to build the Modulus 386 is that I have heard it is the best amp at any price - better than some $25k commercial amps. Ultra low distortion and very quiet ground floor noise. Blacker blacks.

Isn't the $20 IRS2092 amp based on IRAUDAMP7? I think that means one just needs to swap out parts per table 5 of Ref Design? That would save quite a bit of work.

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp7d.pdf

But the reason I want to build the Modulus 386 is that I have heard it is the best amp at any price - better than some $25k commercial amps. Ultra low distortion and very quiet ground floor noise. Blacker blacks.

yes you are correct. . you just need to change components. it also have very low noise problems. just give it a shot it won't let you down

Noise iraudamp7 is 5 times LiteAmp, irs2092 is noisy. Modulus needs lowered psu voltage for 4 ohm, Parallel-86 is designed for 4 ohm. Lower powersupply for Parallel-86 and some MartinLogans can be driven with low distortion and without switching off, ask Tom how to parallel lm4780 on Parallel-86 with another lm4780 and your Dparallel86 should be able to drive harder MartinLogans, using low psu voltages. But you can read that thread yourselves.

Noise iraudamp7 is 5 times LiteAmp, irs2092 is noisy. Modulus needs lowered psu voltage for 4 ohm, Parallel-86 is designed for 4 ohm. Lower powersupply for Parallel-86 and some MartinLogans can be driven with low distortion and without switching off, ask Tom how to parallel lm4780 on Parallel-86 with another lm4780 and your Dparallel86 should be able to drive harder MartinLogans, using low psu voltages. But you can read that thread yourselves.

in my prototype i had no issues with noise. i use 55-0-55 VDC supply rails and drive 4ohms load very conveniently.

I don't know if it is one of the best sounding, I just find - and it is my opinion - there are not a lot of measurements & positive feedbacks. Maybe I am wrong as it took time to read every posts.
The XY LM 386 looks good as well, less expensive and mods.

I agree. If you read the specifications of a lot commercially available "HiFi" amps, their measurements (THD, cross talk, noise level, IMD) are impeccable. However, whether one like its sound is another matter. Of course, from a designer's point of view, good measurement is the basic goal of the design. Again, I would like to use tube amps as example - most of them do not measure well (as compare to SS amps) but a lot of people like how they sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.