Iris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Steve M said:
it appears from the photo above that the rear wave loads into a small cubic sealed chamber. Are the baffles directly behind the driver meant to be removed to allow the driver to fire into a rear loaded double horn. Is there a mistake or am I missing something ??

Yep. It is hard to see in the image, but there is a full-width slot loading out of the "cubic box" into the horns.

dave

Attachments

• iris-throat.png
    iris-throat.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 369
Steve M said:
...it appears from the photo above that the rear wave loads into a small cubic sealed chamber. Is there a mistake or am I missing something ??
/B]

In the pic that I posted, I am using a 3/8" shim to keep the port opening at the right distance apart from each other until it is glued together. (It was a full-length piece of ply, so it looks like a part of the cabinet.) After the glue was dry, I took the shim out of the opening for final assembly. I used 1/4" dowels to keep the back wall/ reflex chamber the correct distance apart, too. It REALLY helped out in the assembly process.
Hope this helps a little!

-Hans

planet10 said:

Further i untwisted a brown pair & a blue pair. The twisted pieces were all 17 7/8", the untwisted brown was 18 5/16" and the untwisted blue was 18 5/8" (the tape measure that was handy was only marked in inches)

Trying hard not to be nit-pickin' - but equal twist rate of all pairs is part of the things that defines the characteristics of the cable for it's intended use ( read char. impedance). For audio, it means "just a'nothinge..."

Congrat's Hans - Nice build!!

Then no wonder the world's going to bits. The fact is, every single piece of Cat 5 network cable I have ever bought contains two tightly twisted pairs of 24AWG conductors, and two more loosely twisted pairs of 24AWG conductors. Every single piece. From at least 3 different sources. Over about 7 years. And every piece I've seen on the 'net shares this feature too. Some sites when talking about cable recipies for Cat 5 (ye gods, I must have been very bored to be reading about cables) even make specific reference to the two different twists.

Interestingly (OK: it's not, in fact, in the least bit interesting -its copper wire), every piece I've seen used for hifi cable by people I know has been like this too.

OK- let's put a few things straight-
Cat5 for audio use - an extra twist here or there doesn't mean a thing - the only thing that matters is DC resistance - and of course - for the more snake oil inclinced - the holy grail ( or nirvana dust) - the teflon insulation!

As for the *intended* use of Cat5 - computer networking- standard Ethernet according to the Cat5 definition, uses ( are you well seated? ) - only two pairs - TX and RX! I'll not dispute that there are different twists, for the sole reason that I've never thought about it in that context! I'll just take a deep bow and accept it ( don't you worry! I'll most certainly check it, at the very first convenience, since I'm currently working abroad..).
I've installed quite a few Cat 5 cables and outlets myself, using the 2 pairs for networking and the other 1 or 2 for digital or analog telephones - but no Cat6- which by definition uses all 4 pairs.

A twisted pair of this kind- Cat 5 or 6 makes no difference- is nothing more or less than a balanced transmission line, designed for the bandwidth required for the task in hand.
More turns pr. inch increases series both inductance and parallell capacitance, both balancing out each other, impedance wise, but also increasing signal loss pr. length unit and frequency. More turns, though- can decrease crosstalk. Cable design is as such, a true art form itself.

For our more or less humble audio use, we can just forget about all this stuff. In our context, all that matters is that smaller cross section cables adds some series resistance which modifies the Qe, which can be beneficial in some cases.
This is of course of no logic to those who gladly pays 4-digit sums for the speaker cables, only to add some DC resistance in the X-overs or BSCs "to make things right"...........

I suggest you don't "split the pairs" but all else is fair when using Cat "x" for audio.

Cat 5 is rated to 100Mhz and was intended for a 2 pair system running at 10Mbs. It was good enough to support the 100Mbs standard that followed but not the "gigabit" and "10 gigabit" speeds of today.

Cat 5e has the same cable specs as above but with a tighter tolerance which enables 350 Mhz and can pass 1Gbs "point to patch" meaning along a single cable.

Cat 6 has different cable specs such as a center spacer dividing the 4 twisted pairs and is rated for 1Gbs "point to point". Meaning it can traverse patch panels and maintain the 1Ghz rating.

Cat 7 is a totally different beast.

ALL of them have different twist ratios between the pairs.
All of them are designed for >100Mhz bandwidth.
All are usually terminated with an "RJ-45" 568 A or B standard.
All of them are a bargain compared to "audiophile cable".
All of them are perfectly adequate for audio frequencies.

By splitting the pairs I mean using one conductor from different pairs . It is not good for RF rejection (induced, not transmitted). Although I have seen and heard some people use split pairs but grounding one end of the "spare" conductor in the pair. Basically making a "drain" around the active conductor.

Wire IS sexy...

I've been listening to the Iris a lot lately - digging through tons of music I haven't listened to for a long time - and don't feel the need to change anything.
Every time I think I should change something, I put another album on & listen to it - all the way through. I'm usually a terrible song jumper, but with these speakers I can just sit and listen.

A friend was over whose musical (presentation) tastes differ pretty greatly from mine.
Needless to say, he was amazed at what the Iris could do.
We did a comparison with my original fe103 cabinets. Where on the Iris, he was diggin' the sound, when the same song was running through the fe103, he almost immediately wanted to change back to the Iris. "This song makes me want to kick somebody in the junk!" he stated about the track that he was just going on and on about being fun and neat on the Iris (It was the first song on Charles Mingus' album, 'The Clown').

This has turned out to be an awesome project. Building them was fun, the music sounds good, I don't feel the need to tweak every time I listen...
I'm sure that if someone with good ears in a quiet(er) environment were to listen, there would be a hundred things to change, but I'm not going to worry about it until that happens!:D

Now if only the rumors about the beta12lta cabinets would come true... I've got a set that have been sitting around waiting for an enclosure for a loong time! :rolleyes:

-Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.