Iphone Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all. I've been researching a speaker build for some time, and have gained enough knowledge now to have more questons than answers. My goal is a portable single box design to play stereo music from my Iphone that I can travel with. The Thodio is my inspiration. I will divide the box into two ported chambers, each having a woofer and a tweeter (I can do the math on this). I will somehow integrate a Parts Express DTA-110a 25wps amp. The speakers I want to use also from Parts-Express, are the DS135-8, and the ND16FA-6. The Woofer is 8 ohms and the tweet is 6. Could someone please take the time to look the specs on these and let me know if they would work well together? Any thoughts will help. Is 1st order Butterworth suficient? What freq should I aim the x-over for? This is my first speaker project, and the electrical is baffling to me. Thanks for your help.

Hi Basshunter,

Nice little project. I checked the drivers and can give you a first feedback.

I assume the portable box has to be as small as possible. The Dayton DS135-8 requires a minimum volume of about 3.2 litres (0.12 cu ft) to work in bass reflex and will reach 80 Hz (-3dB). The vent length will be about 7" and not fit into the cabinet. According to the datasheet the driver has a strong resonance peak at 5.7 kHz. Therefore you will have to choose a crossover frequency of 3.5 kHz or lower.

The tweeter resonance is around 2.5 kHz. According to the datasheet and Zaph's test a crossover frequency of 3.5 kHz is also possible.

Seems to fit. But i fear, that is not really true. Of course it is possible, but it will require a complicated crossover and we have absolutely no headroom.

Something like that ?
Ghettoblaster1.jpg

Greetings all. I've been researching a speaker build for some time, and have gained enough knowledge now to have more questons than answers. My goal is a portable single box design to play stereo music from my Iphone that I can travel with. The Thodio is my inspiration. I will divide the box into two ported chambers, each having a woofer and a tweeter (I can do the math on this). I will somehow integrate a Parts Express DTA-110a 25wps amp. The speakers I want to use also from Parts-Express, are the DS135-8, and the ND16FA-6. The Woofer is 8 ohms and the tweet is 6. Could someone please take the time to look the specs on these and let me know if they would work well together? Any thoughts will help. Is 1st order Butterworth suficient? What freq should I aim the x-over for? This is my first speaker project, and the electrical is baffling to me. Thanks for your help.

If you want to generate stereo field into the room from a single box, then this is for you:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/200040-stereophonic-sound-single-loudspeaker.html

Since this is your first project, you can get away from cross overs and stuff by using fullrange drivers. For this portable size class, something like 3"-4" elements would be great.

- Elias

Thanks. I have looked a a lot of full range speakers, and they're just not full range enough. They lack lower end, or require too large a cab. Do you have a suggestion?

Well, you will not get full range from a portable sized box regardless what drivers you choose, the box is too small for any real bass output.

As a first project, and to keep things simple, and to achieve fast results, and not to mess with cross overs which you said you cannot do, I still recommend full range drivers for you. One option is Markaudio CHR-70.

You can allways add 'portable' subwoofer later :D

I know this is a DY forum but look at what logitech offers, 8 hours autonomy of playback, with decent "thin" sound and the dock included with recharge of the Ipod, compact with a sleeve ans a IC adapter, that's what I bring on my boat or on the beach. Nothing to mess around and enjoy. That's it:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.