iPhone 7 is ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to admit I've never owned an iPhone, I've always had Android phones. Sounds like Apple is doing away with the headphone jack:

It's True: Apple is Ditching the Headphone Jack with the iPhone 7 - NBC News

Not surprising in the ever-thinner phone quest. I guess that leaves Bluetooth wireless or Yet Another Dongle hanging off whatever port the phone does have (Lightning?).

I should have done a poll on this post. What do folks think? Time to jettison the headphone jack on cell phones, or leave them on? Jobs was ultimately right about getting rid of the floppy drive and the optical drive. Maybe they are right about the headphone jack too. Lol from that article it doesn't sound like Woz is convinced.

Last edited:
This is so non news as everyone knew they were going to do this.

https://www.facebook.com/sean.olive/posts/10210754511760352

sums it up rather well

That was pretty much my take. Most people use the supplied earbuds, and the iPhone is still supplied with earbuds. Those that don't can either use Bluetooth, or take advantage of the lightning-3.5mm adapter that apple is also supplying, along side the lightning earbuds, or get a third-Party lightning solution.

Moving to a digital interface will help usher in more headphones that have DSP, DAC, amplification, acoustics and electromechanical components designed and optimized in concert, rather than the situation now.

My only real concern is that this is going to breath new life into the push for end-to-end DRM for music.

ack take that back
here it is
Apple announces $159 truly wireless AirPods earbuds - GSMArena blog

Interesting that they have got their own protocol, well what is interesting that not even Apple could get a reliable dual stream from bluetooth, which could mean that it's over for bluetooth aswell, good riddance (I actually like bluetooth and it's sound quality but the flakiness is something that annoys me endlessly)

The i phone 7 is good news for me it means the pawn shops and second hand stores will be full of mint condition i phone 6 's at knock down prices sold by people that trade in their 6 month old phones every time Apple release a new model. Not that i'd ever buy one personally but my teenage son can now upgrade his third gen model that Apple no longer support as it's " obselete " . No Home button either apparently which makes upgrading essential :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.