• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing Ventus

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for a fully discrete solution to do Bal/SE conversion in my Buffalo II + Legato 2
I was thinking the Ventus would be a good candidate to start with

Can I just use Ventus and short / not use the Buffer ? In that case do I still need as much NFB?
Has anyone had experience with it and compared to the OpAmp ?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I'm looking for a fully discrete solution to do Bal/SE conversion in my Buffalo II + Legato 2
I was thinking the Ventus would be a good candidate to start with

Can I just use Ventus and short / not use the Buffer ? In that case do I still need as much NFB?
Has anyone had experience with it and compared to the OpAmp ?

Thanks a lot!

Why would you want to leave out the buffer?

Why would you want to leave out the buffer?

Because I want to try to go 100% discrete. (and having no NFB would be a plus)

Not that I have any strong technical justification to do so, and I'm happy with the Legato as is, but there seems to be a widely admitted consensus that Op-amps introduce high order harmonics and/or some kind of "modulation" distortion
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/172983-zen-i-v-converter.html

besides, the Legato being a discrete design I feel like it is a pity to introduce ICs in the chain....

...and the Ventus is cheap enough that I want to experiment and listen for myself if there can be even better than the LM4562 ! ;)

Thanks !

Because I want to try to go 100% discrete. (and having no NFB would be a plus)

Not that I have any strong technical justification to do so, and I'm happy with the Legato as is, but there seems to be a widely admitted consensus that Op-amps introduce high order harmonics and/or some kind of "modulation" distortion
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/172983-zen-i-v-converter.html

besides, the Legato being a discrete design I feel like it is a pity to introduce ICs in the chain....

...and the Ventus is cheap enough that I want to experiment and listen for myself if there can be even better than the LM4562 ! ;)

Thanks !

Ah, but the buffer is not an opamp. It is simply highly-matched and thermally coupled output stage transistors in a single package (see image from the datasheet attached).

The other point of the buffer is to reduce the load on the earlier stage and reduce the output impedance of the circuit.

Attachments

• lme49600.png
    lme49600.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Gosh, I should have taken the time to open the datasheet ! Thanks for replying Brian!

Actually when I saw the distortion figures I was convinced that it was an IC with 1000 transistors and heavy internal feeback loops...

Now, even if the interest of my question decreases with this new info...
just for the beauty of my understanding... if I'm just feeding a pre-amp that happens to use another buffer (namely , a B1 buffer by Nelson Pass) and still want to bypass the LME49600 Buffer (I know I'm getting heavy :p) do I still need as much NFB in the Ventus (or even can I totally get away without NFB ?)

As always thanks for your replies!

Fred

Bal to SE

My situation is similar to Lazybutt but I have opamps to drive.

If I do understand...

1) Since I have a Placid HDBP, I can omit C1,C2, C5, and C6

2) I can omit L1 and R1 (very short wire is used)

3) No use of R3 since no gain is necessary. R5 could be anything?

4) Even if the manual says "from 1K to 10K" , What resistors do you suggest for R2 and R3 if the Legato 3 is used fo IV conversion?

I hope I don't forget anything...

My situation is similar to Lazybutt but I have opamps to drive.

If I do understand...

1) Since I have a Placid HDBP, I can omit C1,C2, C5, and C6

2) I can omit L1 and R1 (very short wire is used)

3) No use of R3 since no gain is necessary. R5 could be anything?

4) Even if the manual says "from 1K to 10K" , What resistors do you suggest for R2 and R3 if the Legato 3 is used fo IV conversion?

I hope I don't forget anything...

My intention in recommending the Ventus (on the Legato thread) was so you did not need the opamps. They are just another stage that you don't need.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The puppy chewed my headphones...

Greetings all,

I admit this is frivolous but I write in earnest. When I 're-do' my TPA DACs with a new computer interface, I'm going to add a Ventus. After many years of enjoying TPA products, I trust Brian and Russ implicitly. :superman:

So, the puppy recently destroyed my headphones. Looking ahead... To get the best out of my as-yet unordered Ventus (+Buffalo), are there any headphone suggestions? I'm thinking of taking it 'up a notch' from the ~$100, closed-back, 40mm diaphragm sorts I have used previously. [I need flat bass all the way down for track mixing 'in peace'...] Any and all suggestions welcome concerning your 'go-to' favorites! Thanks in advance. ;)

Frank

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Nate,

There is lots of advice and so many different choices out there. On some of the studio engineer forums users report that high-impedance phones sound poorly from some sources. So I'm asking Ventus users/designers what they like. All with the understanding that a preference is not an official endorsement. ;)

F.

Call me old fashioned, but I still really enjoy My HD600s and HD650s. But I also have several pair of very expensive IEMs (way more than $100). Those typically have about 32ish ohms impedance.

Funny thing, one of my favorite pair of over the ear headphones is a cheapish JVC closed can HA-DX1s. They might be closer to your price range. They sound great. Far better than their price would suggest. Bass is flat - overall one of the best bangs for the buck I have experienced.