Interview w/famous speaker designer-covers common discussions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These do look quite decent, especially for the money. Why aren't more audio products designed to give value?
Personally I think it has something to do with the modern corporate mindset of "grab as much money as you can, while you can". Value is probably seen by people who work on a certain street in Manhattan ;) as weak-minded and a barrier to another Bentley in the garage. :mad:

Everything today seems to be either about silly style (Ipod docks of every shape imaginable)
Maybe because compared to sleek technology like smartphones and tablet devices, traditional speakers & audio components with their boxy shapes just aren't cool enough for today's modern music fan? Even if they don't sound very good? The triumph of form over function. :(
or faux high-end where outrageous BOM costs replace design competency.
Possibly because many people today only care about a product's price tag so they can have bragging rights?

I guess there's no market for Volkswagen products.
What are ya, some kinda hippy?! ;):D

By the way, Andrew and I joined KEF the same week.....
I didn't know he worked for KEF - no wonder the Pioneers reminded me of KEF's speakers (before they were bought by that Chinese company).

I don't want to post too much more off-topic material but had to respond to this:
They were way too flat and analytical sounding for my taste.

They're also inefficient.
Analytical? Really? To me "analytical" would much better suit the Polks & Klipschs sitting right next to them. And for some reason some people really get hung up about a speaker's efficiency, as if somehow 90dB was the dividing line between a good design and junk. And anyway, to get that much bass out of such a small enclosure is going to require a tradeoff somewhere.....

He could have waited and his perceptions might have changed ; Were creatures of habit for sure! The boom and fizz was created to fudge the equal loudness contours and help move boxes in a retail atmosphere , after that it becomes habituation .
I liken weaning yourself off boom and tizz (or smile curve, equal loudness curve, whatever you want to call it) to weaning yourself off surgery or salty food :D

It takes a little bit of effort at first, but the results are worth it ;) Like adding too much sugar and salt to food, boosting bass and treble is something that has an alluring quick fix appeal but is ultimately unsatisfying.

Friends of mine who've heard my speakers generally comment unprompted on the midrange, saying that its "really clear", "the vocals sound real", or other such comments, what they're really expressing is the discovery of what a neutral balanced midrange actually sounds like, instead of the suppressed midrange boom and tizz response they're so used to on mid-fi speakers. (It's a brave manufacturer of mid-fi speakers that would actually attempt a neutral response, as that's not what the buying public wants or expects...)

A flat response might not sound quite as "exciting" or impressive on first listen (in much the same way that a properly set up television doesn't "grab" you with blueish hue and super high contrast and colour, as configured in stores) but its something you quickly grow to appreciate, and sounds more "right" the more you listen to it...

He could have waited and his perceptions might have changed ; Were creatures of habit for sure! The boom and fizz was created to fudge the equal loudness contours and help move boxes in a retail atmosphere , after that it becomes habituation .

Of course thats the beauty of it ; you can't please everyone , so go ahead and listen to whatever " house curve" ( built in or otherwise ) floats your boat .....

:cool:

When I read is comment, I thought "wow, an analytical speaker for $100/pr. Nice!":usd: Wish I needed another set of speakers. I've got enough holes in my head as well. I do have a rear speaker slot still open for 7.1. They may find a home there. Of course I always want a set of those KEF coaxial jobbies too. Then I have several on my 'design' table in my head. I hate loving speakers.

In the Stereophile measurements, they were actually a little more efficient than claimed. That's odd. It seems like speakers usual underperform their rated behavior.

Dan

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.