• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Interstage - is it pointless?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Would like to add my 5cents worth..

The winder that wound John's interstages.. think that interstages suck! I won't go into what I think the reason is for that...that would be pure speculation...

But it reminded me about something Lyn Ollson said..capacitor coupling measures better that IT's.. BUT.. IT sounds better!

Generalization offcourse but I think he has a point...

To be quite honest...and I'll spill my guts out now..since I have built my first serious sounding valve amp...and this has given me plenty confidence... All this talk of distortion is utterly insignificant...the only thing I measure is voltages to see if the valves are within limits..The rest..is chalkdust...ehm gaslight, ehm..what I am trying to say here?? O, yes...who cares about the rest...If it sounds good it is good... Bottom line..end of story..

Offcourse it is good that some people go about measuring things...they are necessary for the advancement of science..without engineers...there would be no valves...but now that they are here...who gives a rats ***, about cathode followers this...otl that..transistors versus valves..feedback or not....it's about building something that sounds good to your own ears....rambling, rambling, and some more rambling...ok...that is off my chest now..

Signed,

The Amateur.

Ha Bas,

You sound as if you're drinking the same wine as me tonight!

So, Wil Blaauw of Automatic Electric Europe:

http://www.ae-europe.nl/

who made my lovely transformers; (IS and OP), understates them? Well, he is being modest.
I can say that the results of both have exceeded my expectations considerably.
I would, and have, recommend his transformers and chokes to anyone.

And thanks Bas, for originally putting me in touch,

Cheers,

John

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
WILS' IRON

Hey guys,

Wil has come a long way.

When he puts his heart in it he can build you any xformer you fancy.

He's gotten the best Euro OPT's right now IMHO,and hey I'm no xformer fan but I can tell a good'un from a bad'un.

Cheers and spread the word.;)

P.S. If he gets too many orders maybe quality will suffer....:rolleyes:

Thanks all for putting up with my ramblings ;-)

Hi John,

Nope ...Wil certainly does not understate them..He is quite confident that he builds some of the best stuff around for decent prices to boot....(And so am I..confident that he builds very good transformers)....and there is more to come I think..he is very enthusiastic and little schemes are popping up in his head all the time)

He just made a general comment on interstage transformers in general...prefering I believe cap coupled amps..(speculation)

Cheers,
Bas

Hi SStone!!?? ,

I forgot you ever existed..!! Ha, ha..long time ago..Well I did get around to building a mu-follower not the one you planned though..and it sounds good...don't know if it sounds better than a simple plate resistor..simply cause I never tried it in this particular amp....Check out my site..click on 6c41c and you'll see a schematic on mu-follower based driver...

Cheers,
Bas

PS good to hear from you again..and send some of that Florida weather over here..no not the cyclones...but the sun.. :)

Bas said,
He just made a general comment on interstage transformers in general...prefering I believe cap coupled amps..(speculation)
I think that is because both Wil Blaauw and his friend Dick van de Merwe (hope I spelt his name right), prefer hi mu output valves such as the 211. There is no point using an IS transformer in that case. You just need a few volts of drive from a really low impedance source; such as a mu stage.

Sorry if I mis-represented Wil. He may not like 'em, but he can sure make 'em.

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.