Internet VS Hollywood: how is it possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In Russia they did that at the beginning, and no ISP could get a license without agreement in participation in SORM, and without such devices installed, purpose of which is to be used only when protection and investigation are needed
IMHO not quite right.

First any server as well as IPS's one with adequate admin has logs rotation in place.

Second in Russia my ISP let me access any IP using any protocol currently at least However it does not mean that I am not going through firewall on ISP side (good provider should have firewall in place for its own security reasons).

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/Deep_Packet_Inspection.html

And I do have firewall on my own side for the same reason to protect my home network and perform content related blocking that suits my taste.

So in order to block let say some leaks site it would take ISP that already have firawall in place a couple of seconds if they have to.

But what ISP does care about is income. If blocking content will affect ISP's income (users will abandon internet access or will downgrade it to the lowest and cheapest bandwidth) I assume in that case Hollywood will lose to ISPs.

Regarding traffic and not only internet traffic but all other ways of communication supervision yes Big Brother is watching after us that is what for SIS get paid for from states budget that are our taxes literaly righ? But discussing Agency of National Security or KGB would be a political aspect for sure.

Offtopic: Graham Greene "Our Man in Havana" is an absolutely lovely and funny book I can highly recommend for pleasure reading.

Politicians used to praise Internet (open access, freedom, etc..) but now they're afraid of it, specially after the wikileaks affair. They don't want to see us sneaking into their deeds.
Today, Hollywod's pathetic companies spearhead the attack the politicans want, but won't dare to admit.

Yea, that used to be the realm of investigative reporters. We did not need the WEB to take down Nixon.

Redebox has the solution. For a buck, why would I bother to pirate it.
iTunes, 99 cents.

This is a shift in understanding between greed and profits. It is more profitable to use the system to it's advantage that be obsessed with greed that you missed a dime, even though loosing that dime made you a buck. We can't put the genie back in the bottle, so we had better learn how to live with it. Sorry Hollywood, but if it were not for VCR copying, you would still do 5 movies a year and make a small fraction of what you make. Use the system. Push trailers for free, tease with cheap viewing. You will make a lot more money. Fire the lawyers while you are at it and hire more actors.

Suntechnic;

it is not about servers, and it is even not about filtering of traffic on channel level. DNS allows to change IP addresses of serves with the same content (say, caches of some main server), or even in different places to show different addresses for the same Web resource, or offer bunch of them.

Here is the example:

Code:
[anatoliy@breakdown bin]$ nslookup google.com
Server:		10.1.15.13
Address:	10.1.15.13#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	google.com
Address: 74.125.224.113
Address: 74.125.224.114
Address: 74.125.224.115
Address: 74.125.224.116
Address: 74.125.224.112

This list of addresses can depend on geography, provider, time of day, and so on. More than some independent from each other firewalls are needed!

Sorry Hollywood, but if it were not for VCR copying, you would still do 5 movies a year and make a small fraction of what you make. Use the system. Push trailers for free, tease with cheap viewing. You will make a lot more money. Fire the lawyers while you are at it and hire more actors.

I got recently e-mail from lawyers, they are sued for errors in advertising of their own services. If lawyers sue lawyer firms, how Hollywood can escape and hire more actors than lawyers, without fear to be sued? :D

I believe, soon Hollywood can be outsourced to some off-shore zone in order to survive. ;)

I do believe the 'genie is out of the bottle', and there is no putting it back!
The sheer volume of information, traffic, thought is so gigantic that any attempts to block it, control it, regulate it.....will prove fruitless.
I respectfully contend the Internet IS an extension of the human mind.......not yet mindful of its own existence. It is the freedom of the mind.....extending onto others, mindless chatter perhaps, but more so, insightful, truly human communication.
Ponder this.....What if I'm right? This nibbling around the edges, trying to control that which is un-controllable. Individuals will (Not so) simply create off-shore, black, sites, mechanisms to keep it going..........sounds like a living entity doesn't it? Trying to survive, as any living thing would.
I'm not trying to sound like a crack-pot.....but I do believe something else, unknown & ethereal is going on here.
When Wiki-Pedia went down, what happened? Individuals steered towards other sites for "info"............sounds kinda like some sort of alternate behaviour Hmmm?
Just pondering..?

____________________________________________________Rick..........

I got recently e-mail from lawyers, they are sued for errors in advertising of their own services. If lawyers sue lawyer firms, how Hollywood can escape and hire more actors than lawyers, without fear to be sued? :D

I believe, soon Hollywood can be outsourced to some off-shore zone in order to survive. ;)

Already has. Canada, Ballywood, CGI actors all programmed in England. Maybe we should all go back to our local diner theaters and college presentations. Live, faulty, human. Naw, that's how I flunked out of school the first time :)

it is not about servers
Server log rotation is related to the case when a legal investigation has to be performed (ISP keeps log history for some time depending on a legislation in particular country).

This list of addresses can depend on geography, provider, time of day, and so on. More than some independent from each other firewalls are needed!
Exactly you've just got the list of IPs to be blocked in order to restrict access to google and is very easy. The content filter can do it by domain names therefore.

Actually there are available blacklists for firewalls that are constantly updated URLBlacklist.com

So some government can come up with a mandatory list of banned URLs (IPs) for all ISPs in case it would be legally adopted. It is very simple technically and can be performed using current gear in place.

Or you are talking about some new Net all over the world that would be controlled from a single supercomputer from one country? It means you have to route all traffic through it sounds not realistic IMHO. And the purpose for such centralization is not quit clears as well. Could you imagine the impact of downtime of such central computer?

Maybe it’s just a new Hollywood’s screenplay for a movie like Dr. Evil 4?

I don't know what screenplay it is, but being involved in Internet development from the beginning (now working as a Systems/Network engineer for some major 3-letter company) I can assure you that I see no way to enforce what is being discussed currently. Yes, new Internet needs to be designed and built that complies to understanding of people from Hollywood who initiated all this process.

Can we get Anonymous on this task?

I wouldn't mind if those who want to put locks on our neural interwebs lost their ability to do business for a while!

I believe you are condoning the very criminal activity and attitudes that are underlying so much of the problem. If you don't like a company, don't buy their products. Tell a friend. They do not have the right to inflict damage on others that don't share their view. It is not free speech, it is selfish and denies others their rights. This is about common decency and respect, not politics. Do not forget, companies employ people. People invest their life savings in companies. When they damage a company, they damage all of us.

The question was if a technical solution is feasible. Yes. It does not require new laws. It requires a lot of money. The technologies I am talking about are called content tagging, cryptography, and data expiration. The owners of the content are already completely free to implement any such system on their content. It is not fool proof as someone will always make a better fool. They have chosen not to implement a technical solution. I believe the old saying is something about reap what you sow.

Wave, yea, we need a new net. It is already being built. The new high speed link that I believe does hit LBL. And yes, we need some work on the protocols. IPV6 sure has some issues. No, the solution is with the data management and the owners of the data doing their own due diligence rather than whining.

Can it be perfect? No. I heard a story at SANS a few years ago about some very sensitive data. The computer was in a guarded compound. Guns and all. In a very secure building. Limited access. Computer was locked down tight as a drum. Someone drove a truck through the wall and took the computer. On the other hand, if your root password is "password", you have voluntarily given away everything by being just plain stupid. You know as well as I, the biggest IT problem is we IT professionals who are not. Or as Pogo said "We have met the enemy, and it is us"

The owners of the content are already completely free to implement any such system on their content.
As well buyers have the right not to purchase such content.

I can tell that SACD is not very popular except among HiEnd audiophiles and there are discussions all over the place that 24 96 PCM flac is better sounding just because SACD content not easily usable as PCM does

I believe you are condoning the very criminal activity and attitudes that are underlying so much of the problem. If you don't like a company, don't buy their products. Tell a friend. They do not have the right to inflict damage on others that don't share their view. It is not free speech, it is selfish and denies others their rights. This is about common decency and respect, not politics. Do not forget, companies employ people. People invest their life savings in companies. When they damage a company, they damage all of us.

The question was if a technical solution is feasible. Yes. It does not require new laws. It requires a lot of money. The technologies I am talking about are called content tagging, cryptography, and data expiration. The owners of the content are already completely free to implement any such system on their content. It is not fool proof as someone will always make a better fool. They have chosen not to implement a technical solution. I believe the old saying is something about reap what you sow.

Sooo... companies are people right?

Yeah.... I'll believe that when Texas executes one (borrowed).

:censored:

It was a little tongue-in-cheek, play along wouldya?! :D

Was it Ann Richards who said "We have the death penalty and ain't afraid to use it?"

Back when computers still had toggle switches, we called ourselves hackers. We hacked the bootstrap. We hacked the KansasCity interface. We hacked the BIOS. If we had this kind of forum, it would have been filled with ideas on how to write different loaders, drivers and more efficient memory mapping. We would debate NMI at zero or FFFF. Eventually we had BBS over 300 baud modems. Wow. We could download faster than we could type! We shared ideas, we shared software. We pushed the boundaries so all this we have now came about. We built the system that makes so many people so much money. We did not hack into our BBS servers, we asked politely for access. This forum is a direct decedent of those days.

Every single one of us pays a vandalism tax every time we buy something. A tax that could go to productivity. There is nothing funny about that. I have very good reasons to have no sense of humor about it.

Every single one of us pays a vandalism tax every time we buy something. A tax that could go to productivity. There is nothing funny about that. I have very good reasons to have no sense of humor about it.

Me too. In 1991 I run full blown Internet server on a single Intel 386 machine, with 8-port Digiboard and modems connected to it. Now virtual guest systems are hundreds times faster, but still people complain about resources... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.