Internet radio: your favorites

WBGO was suggested to me via another thread -

That station is addictive. If I think they're doing something wrong and tempted to switch - all I have to do is wait for the next song and they blow me away again!

Stream sounds good too, plays more consistently that even the local KPLU - I mean KNKX - station over my 3MB "good for email" Comcast connection... Go figure.

Highly recommended if you're a jazz fan. Blues too - makes me want to pick up the bass and jam along.

KCRW 89.9 FM

Radio station out of Santa Monica College. Can be heard on website, their own app or accessed on iTunes. The sound quality is pretty good.

They have a very well regarded program called "Morning Becomes Eclectic"

KCRW 89.9FM | Music, NPR News, Culture Los Angeles | KCRW

M-F 9am-Noon (PST). A lot of great music from all over, new and old. Definitely worth checking out. In the last hour of program, they get some amazing artist's showing up and play live.
Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Joni Mitchell, Jimmy Cliff as well as ColdPlay, Brandi Carlile, Radiohead, Los Lobos, Beck, Ozomatl, Wilco, Sonic Youth have all performed live at their studio on the show. I would check out the older shows when when Chris Douridas was hosting in '06.
Leonard Cohen really liked the program and came on the show numerous times. I believe his last interview was on KCRW talking about his swan song album, he knew his time was coming. Back in the day, they use to produce a fundraiser CD of performances recorded in their studio, the recordings have excellent sound. They were called KCRW "Rare On Air" Vol. 1-4. Some songs can be found on Tidal, the Wilco "Sunken Treasure" KCRW recording is very good and is on their Being There album.

I really wished they had the episodes from the 90's online, those were the best.

Saturday evenings, Henry Rollins hosts a 2 hour program that is also very good. He has really good taste and delves deep into music from all over, playing rare pressings. The show is very entertaining and worth checking out.

Henry Rollins | Audiophile Music Radio Online | KCRW

`

Last edited:

For very alternative KXLU out of Loyola Marymount University.

Link: KXLU 88.9 FM

I grew up listening to them and learned a lot about music from them. They introduced me to "Haitian Fight Song" on the "The Clown" album by Charlie Mingus when I was 15, blew me away and still one of my all time favorites. So I pretty much have to give them a big thumbs up.
It's all over the place from old surf music to spoken word to punk.

88.5 FM out of Cal State Northridge University. Sound quality is pretty good thru their app.

Link: The Independent 88.5 FM | Southern California Radio

Mostly classic rock-n'-roll and every night they have a world music program and musician interview similar to morning becomes eclectic.

A lot of top DJ's from other LA radio stations that closed down or went elevator moved over to this small radio station and now gaining a large audience.

Musician Joe Walsh dj'd his own show every Sat. for over a year until recently and can hear his episodes below, he's a total kick and plays a great selection of music. Highly recommended.

Link: Old-Fashioned Rock n’ Roll Radio Show
- The Independent 88.5 FM | Southern California Radio

`

Last edited:
FIP - originally France Inter Paris
See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIP_(radio_station) for a description

Eclectic, commercial free, news in French at the top of the hour. Typically there is a theme to the music selection, but you will hear music both familiar and new - some of which is not played on commercial stations. The web app is OK, but best experienced from a streaming source connected to the FIP url - will verify and post the current url separately.
MN