Internal board 2 board commutation of signals. Which to use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear colleagues,
Could you suggest me, which is the best option for internal commutation of precious audio signal for several internal PCBs. I see several different options:
a) solder wires directly board to board (the best option in terms of signal quality, but it'll be hard to mount/dismount modules
b) IDC cable. It's good for power supply, i suppose, but how about audio quality of this connectors and ribbon cables? Also very easy to assemble
c) Flat cable with ZIF connectors. I've seen Allen&Heath using them in mixers, may be they have lower contact resistance due to ZIF?
d) Some other connectors like Molex?
e) Or even a simple screw terminal?

Which option do you prefer for your modular devices?

Any of the above can work, and what to use depends heavily on the situation!

If is is uV level mic signals for example then ribbon cable is probably a poor choice and I might be tempted to use something that lets me include an electrostatic screen right up to the board, speaker level, different considerations again, but for typical low impedance line level audio (especially if it is balanced) almost anything will work.

I have a fondness for things that allow me to leave the wiring connected to one half of the connector, as it makes ensuring that everything goes back correctly easier, for me it tends to be ribbon on hard drive style IDC headers if I have a lot of signals to pass (put a ground on every other pin), or one of the amp connectors if it is only a stereo pair or something.

If you decide to do the screw terminal thing, Wago do a screw terminal block where the screw part can be pulled off a board mounted pin header which is convenient sometimes.

Regards, Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.