Interesting observations of YouTube recordings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started to translate Le systeme de Mr Sato by Jean Hiraga, I thought I would see if there was a English copy of it floating around first.

I did not feel the need to start a new thread, just thought I would see if anyone was interested in a translation.

Le systme de Mr Sato (J.Hiraga)

I pretty sure this build is going to happen, I will at least give it a go.
When a particular design(s) are selected or created, I will start a thread in the appropriate category.

That naturally got my thinking what the track would sound like coming straight from my computer. (Just an MP3 of it, not a recording of another stereo)
Charly Antolini - Cabriolet - 1981 - YouTube

The result is disappointing. lol Now I know that the fellow probably had a better copy then the video I linked, but I don't think it could be that much better.
It's all about the added reverb in the listening space, being picked up by the camera. The SQ is pretty good, the treble is just a touch lacking - but there is plenty of dynamics. The bounce in the bloke's room is adding to the sound, and it's enhancing, not detracting from the original sound.

That's how live sound works - and how good systems should work: if you have to use room treatments to 'tame' the sound then the playback system is not sufficiently optimised ...

I've been perusing compression drivers (modern ) for this application. All I have found so far roll off at about 600 Hz, not quite to the 280 or so we're looking for.
The woodworking skills required to build such are complex & time consuming....as the French link shows. A method MUST be used whereby this level of complexity can be averted.
Do we "need" to use this SATO design? Parameters of out-right size should be established, frequency coverage settled on...if a design does not yet exist, could the Hornresp. program "create" a design within a "convoluted" shape parameter?
Yes, that giant horn 1928 WE is too large but I think something between the two could be designed. I do have the HornResp. program but I can't make heads or tails of the thing.
I'll take a look at it again.....

______________________________________________Rick.................

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool! Thanks for the link to the article, I just finished reading it. Odd that I had not seen it before, glad to see it now. About 4 years after that was written Mr. Hiraga and I were doing the demos in Paris with a very similar system. Not sure what a system like that would sound like in a 20 sq meter room, but in a bigger space it was fantastic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.