interesting designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever drawn up any really kool designs visually? I got bored the other day and tried to draw up some interesting designs that could be done with minimal resources and tools. Kind of designed after the modern wilson style.

If anyone has anything they want to share; please feel free!

Attachments

• Anunnaki Chief colours.png
    Anunnaki Chief colours.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 590
  • Anunnaki Chief.png
    Anunnaki Chief.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 573
Hi,

Form should follow function without artifice IMO. The difficultly
is getting the visual interest with the F and F. Very possible to
do if you understand acoustic principles, if you don't you get
something that looks like it might work , but doesn't that well.

Not a problem in itself, until fabrication costs are factored in.

rgds, sreten.

Yea the idea behind this sketch was a 2.5 bookshelf speaker that could be sat on top of a 15" powered sub. All made of mdf, probably 1.5 inch thick baffles and 1.2" everywhere else ( at least for the 2 lower enclosures). I was just imagining something massive that would fill my living room and look kool doing it :p

Yea the idea behind this sketch was a 2.5 bookshelf speaker that could be sat on top of a 15" powered sub. All made of mdf, probably 1.5 inch thick baffles and 1.2" everywhere else ( at least for the 2 lower enclosures). I was just imagining something massive that would fill my living room and look kool doing it :p

Hi,

Well it would certainly be massive, I don't know about elegant, and the
compound reverse curves look very difficult to do simply with simple tools.

If your really serious about building a speaker you should really start with
an outline of the units and x/o frequencies and slopes you intend to use.
e.g. why 0.5 way in the midrange ? And then design a cabinet with an
ambition level commensurate with the quality of the chosen design.

rgds, sreten.

Anyone ever drawn up any really kool designs visually? I got bored the other day and tried to draw up some interesting designs that could be done with minimal resources and tools. Kind of designed after the modern wilson style.

If anyone has anything they want to share; please feel free!

I am all for astehtic beuty in a loudspeaker, but unfortunately reality always seems to set in.

First your designs may or may not lend themselves to the best acoustics, I would guess that they wouldn't, so there is a change.

Second, having a lot of experince at building the boxes, what you have designed would cost a fortune to make.

Getting visual aesthetics in a state-of-the-art acoustic design is very difficult and at the very least very very expensive. Been there done that. Giving up on the acoustics to retain the visual appeal is what everyone does so that martket is saturated. Retaining the acoustics and giving up on the visual appeal is not very common, but seems to me the more sensable approach since in reality nobody is willing to pay to "have it all."

I am all for astehtic beuty in a loudspeaker, but unfortunately reality always seems to set in.

First your designs may or may not lend themselves to the best acoustics, I would guess that they wouldn't, so there is a change.

Second, having a lot of experince at building the boxes, what you have designed would cost a fortune to make.

Getting visual aesthetics in a state-of-the-art acoustic design is very difficult and at the very least very very expensive. Been there done that. Giving up on the acoustics to retain the visual appeal is what everyone does so that martket is saturated. Retaining the acoustics and giving up on the visual appeal is not very common, but seems to me the more sensable approach since in reality nobody is willing to pay to "have it all."

I agree COMPLETELY!

Earl...how many times do I have to agree with your comments...to get that sweet freebee? You know...the top-o-the-line one???

I could dedicate it to a good cause...like a church. But then I'd have to move into the church.

Forget it...bad idea.:D

Too much time on my hands these days :p

Nice Stuff!!! I really like them, especially the first one.

Thanks for getting back to the purpose of the thread... I was starting to think that I was the only one with enough time on my hands to sketch out a dream design.

Cheers!!!

Attachments

• mayan.png
    mayan.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 238
  • speaker design ( Tribal ).png
    speaker design ( Tribal ).png
    19.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
278691d1335206462-interesting-designs-hpm-ob.jpg

heil-fostex.jpg

And since we are talking about the artform part, the speakers in the 1st post, look like a luke warm take on the Wilson speakers (something i personally am not enamoured with), and just down at the local park, we have an example of the kind of waste facility Cal alluded too, just paint the speakers green and add some features.

We can go better than this.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.