Interest Check: 15A Unreg PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Redshift187 said:
Hopefully they wouldn't be expected to supply continuous 15A of current,
Don't worry, the LM3886 is current limited to 8 App or 5,6 Arms. That current is shared across both rails, because only one half is present at a given time, so even with both ICs working at full steam, you will need less than 5,6 A per rail with a pure sinus signal. Normal music will have an average consumption far below that. Just keep the speaker trace short and fat, because it will take the sum of the rails.

Redshift187 said:
That is one of the calculators I used. According to one, the width and thickness was acceptable for 10 degrees rise over ambient, and the other for 12 degrees rise over ambient. I also exceeded the minimum recommended gap of 30 mils for a 35V difference.

I'm not sure what the difference between Ipeak and Itransient is. I understand transient, but by peak do you mean DC? If so, then that would be the one.
Pacific,
this reply confirmed he hasn't a clue why he specified 15A.

Redshift187 said:
sandbasser:
What particular cap are you looking at? I'll see what can be done. I had to make the 4-pin part myself.

I'm not sure if they are in any way, shape or form standardized... but, I'm talking about caps like this... Image shamelessly stolen from apexjr website. (MODS: If this is against the rules feel free to delete.)

AdcomCap.jpg

Yeah, pacificblue is right. Now that I think more about it, it's probably not a good idea to use those on a PCB. But if you want to use them, there are other rectifier designs that have just the diodes on the PCB, which would be WAY cheaper to use with those caps, simply because the PCB is so much smaller. If you want I'll PM you a link to one or two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.