Interconnects... (uggh, another thread on cables... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and now everyone is hinting these are the weak point in the system?? <snip>
I love the Fostexs

Ya sorry about that. Not to confuse your system with the general statement. The speakers are always where the most dramatic improvements can be made. If you are using the Fostex's and are happy then spend your extra money on Christmas presents, don't worry about the darn interconnects.

Actually, after Christmas, if the wallet allows, I suggest you do go buy a $75 dollar pair of IC's and compare them with the 5 or 10 dollar ones. I have. I now spend my money on the important stuff like woofers, tweeters and XO.

Cheers.

Through my ignorance I have mucked through a few of these issues.
The things I know:
To buy fancy cables, the cost will drive you nuts and you really don't know whether any of it is worthwhile.
To build fancy cables, the technical side will drive you nut and so will the cost anyway and you really don't know whether any of it is worthwhile.
In the above statements you may substitute any item in your audio chain with the same results.
Sanchez and the Jets are choking.

Obviously the OP realizes this. He has BIBs with cat5 DIY cables.
Simple, elegant, sound great and test poorly.

So were do I think the OP might help his system?
Clearly he is satisfied with his BIBs, speaker cables and amp.
In regards to cables, has it pretty well licked. I say go with the cat5 or just find some reasonable solid core wire of a convenient gauge and twist them tightly. Be as good as anything.

The bang for the buck or effort will be in the source. Buy excellent quality CDs only. Use a good lossless format on your iMac. Use an excellent playback system and consider upgrading your DAC ( I am not familiar with the OP's particular DAC, so I can't really diss it). Make sure you have a good USB input. Consider some rudimentary digital room correction.

I have found that iTunes sounds bad compared with using a secondary player such as "pure music" ($160), which I can afford, or "amarra" ($700), which I can't.
I also recently built a twisted pear buffalo II DAC, a large improvement over previous DACs which include Electrocomaniet, forte, and Red Wine.

Just my 2c...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.