Interconnects - heatshrink v Teflon tube v tape, gauge v length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
despotic931 said:
Wow! That is a rare find! At the moment I am not in need of any as I have no plans to make any new cables yet. The last batch of cotton braid I got from an ex co-worker, he didn't care for the stuff and just gave it to me. However I am in the process of building a whole new system piece by piece, (my current one is kinda hobbled together and not even close to par) and new cables may make their way into the budget eventually, so I'll be sure to keep your offer in mind! Thanks Steve!

No problem!

Excellent idea! Actually, I tried something similar recently. I started asking her about what she would want my hifi set up to look like, everything from the equipment rack to the speakers and amps, and yes even cables. One thing she was very clear on was that she did not want to see the cables, but I was able to get her to realize that that wasn't going to happen. I suppose I'll have to try again, I would love to get her more into it. Right now she just enjoys picking out records (vinyl) and listening.

Yeah, I think it's all the disparate boxes and cables that keep high end audio from reaching the broader market.

Along those lines I've been thinking it might be a good time to re-introduce the old "console stereo" concept. Though not as big and bulky as some of the behemoths of the 50s and 60s. Something sleeker and with more modern styling. Ideally it would include its own music server for a "plug and play" solution. The only cable would be the power cord.

Oh well, at least I am lucky enough to have a girl who not only puts up with my hobby, she supports it! However if she had it her way, all the amazing sound would come out of one little clean black box, and that box would probably be hidden in a closet somewhere, lol!

Ha!

Women. Can't live with 'em. Can't shoot 'em. :D

se

Steve Eddy said:

Yeah, I think it's all the disparate boxes and cables that keep high end audio from reaching the broader market.

Along those lines I've been thinking it might be a good time to re-introduce the old "console stereo" concept. Though not as big and bulky as some of the behemoths of the 50s and 60s. Something sleeker and with more modern styling. Ideally it would include its own music server for a "plug and play" solution. The only cable would be the power cord.

I agree, but the only big issue is isolation, I think the speakers need to be separated from the components. I would eventually like to put something like this together, but that is a project for another thread.

Getting back on topic, what is your favorite recipe for interconnects?

-Justin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.